The Choice And Goodbyes

CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18

(Athena POV)

The next morning, when I woke up, I went to find Aslan. I find him outside in the gardens.

"What is it, my child?" Aslan asks as I sit next to him.

"The Pevensies," I answer partially true.

"You mean Peter," Aslan says and I nod with a sigh.

"I know they are leaving soon," I explain. "I don't think I'm ready for him to leave." Aslan nods.

"Peter and Susan's time in Narnia is over. They've done all they can for Narnia and have learned all that they can," Aslan explains and I hang my head knowing that it is true. "If you feel as if you should truly be with Peter, then I will not stop you from leaving with him but know that you may never return to Narnia." Aslan then walks away, leaving me to think about my decision. Could I really leave Narnia to never return?

Later, Caspian and I have all of the Telmarines and Narnians meet us in the courtyard. Caspian and I then go to get Aslan and the Pevensies. Caspian and I walk to the garden where we find Peter and Susan having a deep discussion with Aslan.

"Your Majesties?" Aslan asks as Caspian and I go to walk away.

"We are ready," Caspian answers.

" Everyone has assembled," I explain. Aslan nods before Caspian and I walk away. We all meet in front of the people.

"Narnia belongs to the Narnians, just as it does to man," I begin before letting Caspian continue.

"Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish. Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers," Caspian explains.

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," A Telmarine states.

"We're not referring to Telmar," I tell him.

"Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start," Aslan explains.

"I will go. I will accept the offer," The Telmarine General states.

"So will we," Miraz's wife agrees as she and her father step forward with her baby.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan says before he breathes on them. The tree behind us untwists and has a hole to walk through in it. They walk through and disappear. The crowd gasps.

"Where did they go? They killed them. How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" The Telmarines in the crowd ask.

"Sire. If my example can be of any service, I will take 11 mice through with no delay," Reepicheep offers. Peter and Susan share a look before Aslan looks at them.

"We'll go," Peter states as he steps forward.

"We will?" Edmund asks.

"Come on. Our time's up," Peter states before walking over to Caspian. "After all we're not really needed here anymore." Peter hands Caspian his sword.

"I will look after it until you return," Caspian states as he grabs the sword.

"I'm afraid that's just it. We're not coming back," Susan explains and Caspian's face drops.

"We're not?" Lucy asks sadly. I knew I had to make my decision soon.

"You two are," Peter answers before turning to Aslan. "At least, I think he means you two."

"But why? Did they do something wrong?" Lucy questions Aslan.

"Quite the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time. Your brother and sister have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own," Aslan answers her.

"It's all right, Lu," Peter says as he grabs her hand. "It's not how I thought it would be but it's all right." Peter looks over at me and I knew then that he felt it too. "One day you'll see, too. Come on." Peter pulls her with him over to Glenstorm, Reepicheep, Trumpkin, and Trufflehunter. Peter and Glenstorm lock arms and shake. Lucy bows to Trumpkin before pulling him into a hug. Susan gives me a hug.

"I'm glad I came back," Susan states as she walks over to Caspian. Peter then walks over to me.

"I wish we had more time together," Caspian says.

"It would never have worked, anyway," Susan says.

"Why not?" Caspian asks.

"I am 1,300 years older than you," Susan answers jokingly. Susan then goes to walk away from Caspian before she turns back and kisses him. As they break apart Caspian pulls her into a hug.

"I'm sure when I'm older I'll understand," Lucy states to Edmund.

"I'm older and don't think I want to understand," Edmund explains making me smile.

"Now is the time, my child," Aslan says to me and I turn to Peter. I had made my mind up. I take the necklace holding the ring that Peter gave me. I grab Peter's hand and place the ring in it.

"I wish that we had more time. I wish I could make myself go with you, but I can't leave Narnia for it is my home," I explain as Peter gives me a confused look. "I want you to keep it so you will have something to remember me by." Peter then pulls me in for a kiss and as we break apart, we hug.

"I will always remember you," Peter says before going to stand beside his siblings. Aslan gives them a nod, as I feel tears start to roll down my face. The Pevensies then disappear into the tree with one last look back from Lucy. I look down at my hands and find a new bracelet on my wrist, obviously from Peter. I feel more tears rush down my face and Caspian rests a comforting hand on my shoulder.

(3rd Person POV)

The Pevensies are back in the train station. Lucy looks back the way they came to see Narnia gone. Peter looks in his hand to find the ring on the necklace. With a small smile, he puts it back on his neck.

"Aren't you coming, Phyllis?" The boy from earlier asks as he gets on the train. The Pevensies quickly grab their things before getting on the train. Edmund looks into his bag.

"You don't think there's any way we can get back?" Edmund asks and they all look at him confused. "I've left my new torch in Narnia." They all smile as the train takes off.