CHAPTER EIGHT

It was finally Friday and Quil couldn't be more than happy that he gets to spend more time with Zahra

It was finally Friday and Quil couldn't be more than happy that he gets to spend more time with Zahra. However, he was worried about the meeting Sam has been holding off. He knew everyone was curious about Zahra's story-but he was terrified of learning something that could change their routine.

He wanted to be selfish for a little longer and be oblivious to the hard part, but he knew he couldn't wish that. Zahra gave no hints whatsoever on anything about her life, and the only thing they actually knew of her kind was the stories Emily had shared with them.

When he arrived at Sam and Emily's a little later than he wanted since he had to do errands for his grandfather, he didn't expect to see Zahra sitting in the corner of the room pouting. Worry struck him as he paced over quickly-a natural instinct of his protectiveness taking over.

Emily walked in and her usual graceful smile was not present, " I'm sorry Quil, she's been like this for a few hours now"

Quil smiled at the older woman and shook his head," It's okay Em, I got this. I assure you it wasn't your fault"

Emily's eyes fell on Zahra before she left the room. She knew Quil would help her.

"Zahra? What's wrong?" He whispered softly as he approached her carefully. The mermaid looked up and she huffed hugging her knees close to her chest.

"I was watching that weird box you guys call a Television and I-" Her nose scrunched in distaste as she pursed her lips," It was scary-the man had this weird contraption and just killed a wolf" Hearing her words his heart fell and he felt overwhelmed at the anxiety that was probably consuming her thoughts.

"Why did he hurt the wolf?" She whimpered and Quil reached over bringing her to his chest soothing her as much as he could.

"I can't really speak on his behalf and I'm not sure how to really explain it, but sometimes Humans just do horrific things. I'm sorry you had to see that, Zahra" He pulled back caressing her cheeks.

"It's okay my kind does terrible things" She revealed and lowered her eyes," It just scared me to think that someone can hurt you or the boys" Zahra confessed her greatest fear

"Oh" He gaped and then grinned being all giddy at her confession," It's okay Zahra, nothing like that will happen here at least. You see, we keep in our area and humans that do know about us, they know we won't harm them"

"But what if someone gets hurt, Quil" She mumbled leaning in his palm," I don't want to see any of you hurt" Quil didn't continue to try and soothe her with words that would end up hesitant. It was true, her words. It was probably the humans that were the least of their worries-it was the vampires.

The one kind he was horrified to tell Zahra about. He knew hiding it from her was unfair, but with how fragile she was with everything-he just didn't have the heart to tell her about the creatures that would make Zahra come to dislike the land above the water.

But Quil also knew that Zahra was a lot stronger than her obliviousness of his world. It was him that needed the push of strength.