CHAPTER THIRTEEN

The day had finally arrived for Zahra to know it was time for her to try and explain her world as much as she could

The day had finally arrived for Zahra to know it was time for her to try and explain her world as much as she could. She had decided the moment she felt right in place, was the time she'd tell them all the truth.

While the pack had gathered the overwhelming emotions was not present. All she felt was calm and confident that everything would be okay and that was because of Quil's presence.

"I've only spoken about diminutive details of my kind" Zahra started and everyone had tuned in on the day they had been waiting for. The day that they learned about the little mermaid that had made it into their lives.

"We call ourselves Selkie's and if I'm informed correctly with the books Emily had provided, it's actually what the Scottish of your kind would term us as. I'm not sure if they knew it was the correct term or if my kind had picked up it somehow from a human."

"So, you're saying it's possible that others knew about the land above?" Emily questioned and Zahra nodded

"It's possible, there a lot of things different about our kinds, but I've learned there is a lot similar to us. I may not be as well-informed as the rest of my people, but" Her eyes downcast as she took a few breathes," It must be because I was never allowed outside of my little preserve"

"Preserve?" Jared asked genuinely concerned. Her lips tightened as she looked at him, her eyes seemed hollow and lifeless.

"That was what I called it, but it turns out-from the knowledge I learned here. It was a place that held me captive"

"So, are you saying someone purposely locked you up?" Jacob narrowed his gaze

"It's possible-" She took a long gulp as she let out a sigh," That's where I can't fully confirm it. My memories are just not in place and I have no recollection of why I'm here. I just woke up at the beach, and the last I could remember was being in my preserve"

"Were you in that Preserve for your entire life?" Paul decided to ask the question knowing no one had the courage as much as he did.

She turned her head to him and shook her head," I don't remember much, but I know that when Momma was still alive, I was not in my preserve, but it's possible that I might have known"

"What makes you say that?" Quil now spoke up asking carefully

"I just have this feeling," She said morbidly," I can't explain it" She lifted her hand to her chest," But since I can't even touch the ocean water-someone is keeping me out of it"

"You must have discovered something you shouldn't" Sam revealed and Zahra nodded slowly

"It must be the reason, but I don't know what to do to find out why"