CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

A mother never wants to hear their own child say words as heartbreaking as what Quil said

A mother never wants to hear their own child say words as heartbreaking as what Quil said. However, she understood that it meant she needed to be stronger for him and that's what she was doing.

Within the slow painstaking days of waiting, Joy had kept her head straight and made sure her son's were as well. Every time he tried to skip a meal, she'd intervene or as well with lacking sleep. Despite his denial, Joy ignored it and pushed him to stop languishing around.

She even got Embry with Jacob to join her side and the pair gladly came doing as she asked. They did have to deal with an angry Quil, but both of them knew it was for the best. The more he fell under depression would only make Zahra feel horrible and they needed her mind to focus on hopefully getting better.

Zahra who had been bedridden had known what she wanted-she needed the sea, but something was stopping her from saying it.

Each time Quil, Joy or anyone for the matter came into her bedroom she just wanted to plead them to take her to the water, but her mouth could not form the words.

Her body was slowly dying and if she couldn't find the way to communicate, she'd end up as all her kind would when at their deathbed. Her body was going to burst into Sea Foam and all she could think about was not allowing herself to die, not in front of the people she had come to care about.

She did not want Joy and Quil to experience the trauma of her loss and she was fighting the mental image that swarmed her mind each time she closed her eyes.

When Joy came into the room, Zahra's eyes fell onto her own and she tried to fight the urge.

"Zahra, sweetheart" Joy smiled brightly as she sat on the chair beside the young female's bed," How are you feeling?"

Zahra's face tightened as she opened her mouth to say the simple words, but again it was the same experience. Her mouth could not form the words, and instead, it was replaced with words she did not want to say," Feeling Better"

Lies. Zahra had thought. Lies. She was not feeling better and she was not sure why her mind was trying to lie for her.

"Is there anything you need? I'm not the greatest cook around, but I can try my best" Joy said softly running her hand through Zahra's hair," Anything" Her voice cracked unknowingly, showing the tiniest bit of her hidden anguish.

Once Zahra saw the look, the inside of her burned and her eyes widened as she mumbled the word she had been trying to utter for so long.

"Water" her voice barely a whisper but enough for Joy to hear.

"I'll get you a glass" She replied but Zahra grabbed her hand shaking her head," Wat...er"

The mother stood in place trying to think of what she meant and her mind went into turmoil when it came to the conclusion," You need the ocean" she finally said in realization and once Zahra's mouth formed into a smile, she knew she got it right.