CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

It had been exactly half a year-since Zahra had passed away but also-half a year since Quil had ever touched the ocean water

Since Zahra's death, he avoided the beach along with cliff-diving with the guys.

It was probably his weakness that took over his life and he knew that he'd have to try again. He had to take a plunge and stop cowering away from the place that probably gave him the most memories of Zahra.

It was his day off from patrols along with it being the weekend. So, Quil decided to push himself to actually go to the beach.

Joy had ended up watching her son walk in and out of the house for a few hours to the point of her literally locking him out of the house.

She threatened him that he'll sleep outside if he didn't go, and funnily enough it gave the final push for him to head to his destination. This time, his feet were in control and despite him walking slower than the elderly in the neighborhood-he was still doing more progress than ever.

By the time he reached the beach, it was already late in the afternoon when most families had already started to prep to leave. Though, he did prefer to be at the beach not worrying about being shoved around by kids-or blocking the view of the sun from the people who'd make a complaint like it was the end of the world.

It was probably the reason; he actually enjoyed the beach with the pack because people would stray far away from them always making them out to being gang members-or the best yet; Sam Uley's lackeys. The list went on.

Quil found himself sitting a few feet away from the shorelines. His eyes remained on the body of water and his breaths evened out taking in the salty air.

Within the moment, Quil had blocked out all the sounds and his mind fell into consciousness of his mind where all his memories of Zahra had remained.

His first memory with Zahra, was on the exact place he was sat.

"What in Poseidon's name are these things?!!?"

He let out a chuckle remembering the moment. He was only a few weeks in after phasing for the first time, and that night was his first patrol without Sam, Jared or Paul.

The three who usually accompanied the newest members since having the longer experience in the whole thing.

The second strongest memory, was when they came to the beach-and Quil finally told her about the Cold Ones.

"Thank you, Quil"

Though, the memory mainly drawn him to the first time Zahra affectionally hugged him.

The third memory, was probably the one he revisited the most. It was the time, that Zahra had kissed his cheek.

"I really care about you Quil, and I want you to know that I'll never kiss you for fun"

He was sure his heart stopped for a second when she said those words.

It was at that moment; he was so damn thankful for meeting her. Not a single day, since losing her did he even think of wanting to forget his memories.

Which led him to think about Zahra's biological mother; Yareli...When Ahanu had passed-she had wanted to forget those memories and he couldn't help but feel sorry for Ahanu.

Sure, most people say "They'd want you to be happy" when someone they loved had passed, but was choosing the path of wanting to forget those memories really worth it?

Of course, not...at least not for Quil.

It still very much hurt each time he dug into his memories, but the pain was worth it.

"Quil"

Snapping out of his thoughts, and taking in that the sky was now dark-Quil furrowed his brows turning to the voice that called out to him. Once his eyes got used to the darkness his whole body froze at the person standing just a few feet away from him.

He quickly stood up his throat tightening

"You..."