⁰⁷, PRE-TEEN HEARTBREAK

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter seven; Pre-Teen Heartbreak
" It's not mean, it's a prank. "

MARCH 4, 1973HOGWARTS CASTLE

MARCH 4, 1973
HOGWARTS CASTLE

  SALEM GERARD HAD told Dottie Fitzgerald that she had a massive crush on Sirius Black. This, of course, was obvious to everyone, but it still felt heavy and Dottie giggled with her redhead counterpart after hearing it.

  "Do you want me to see if he likes you back?" Dottie giggled, both girls sitting beneath Salem's comforter, whispering as if it wouldn't reach the ears of dormmates.

  "Maybe," Salem said shyly, "He probably doesn't."

  "I'll ask Lupin," Dottie said, "He'll probably know— and if Sirius has eyes, of course, he'll like you."

  Remus told Dottie he didn't know, which was true. But after reporting the incident to Sirius, he wished he hadn't.

  "Sappy Salem fancies me?" Sirius barked out a laugh, "No way, mate, this is perfect."

  "For what?" Remus asked worriedly just as James entered the dorm. "I thought we all said we'd stop calling her Sappy Salem— it's mean. She cried because she's left her mum last year, that's all."

  "Sappy Salem fancies me," Sirius told James, making the latter laugh as well, "That's gold— we'll have to come up with a good prank, aye?"

  "Already have an idea, mate."

  "Salem!"

  The redhead froze briefly but came to her senses once Sirius stopped a mere meter from her. "Sirius."

  "Hi," Sirius said, looking at his feet fleetingly before meeting Salem's eyes with a shy smile, "Um, I was just wondering if you were busy Saturday, we could meet and spend some time together, out by the Forest, if you want."

  "The Forbidden Forest?"

  "Yeah," He smiled, "What, not scared, are you?"

  "No," Salem said quickly, "I'll see you then."

  "Great."

  Salem talked about this encounter for the next three days. Dottie was as elated at the news as her best friend was, Salem walked around with an ever-present smile and glowed with a new light. 

  And the night of, Salem nervously wore Dottie's clothes. She figured her style would eventually mature past a leather jacket, but tonight she needed to speed it up, to wear a skirt and a nice jumper, with straight hair and only light jewelry. She was the epitome of gentle, feminine, the ideal thirteen-year-old she always wanted to be.