⁰⁹, BETWEEN TWO BOOKS

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter nine; Between Two Books
I think he was absent my entire life and me lying to him isn't a big deal in comparison. "

  MADAM ROSEMERTA HARBORED pity for the newest recruitment of the Three Broomsticks' maid services

  MADAM ROSEMERTA HARBORED pity for the newest recruitment of the Three Broomsticks' maid services. Sally was a nice girl, she listened and had manners and didn't complain about the uniform, but oh how horrible she was at her job.

  She'd been working for a matter of three days and had accidentally misplaced a trunk, lost an eyebrow to a flame spell gone wrong, regrew said eyebrow thanks to Roman, and got frightened by a quite angry Kneazle.

  "Sally?" The woman asked just before the redhead bustled off to clean another room. "Can I speak with you for a moment?"

  The teen's fear was clear as she followed Madam Rosmerta to a back room, idling awkwardly as she began pouring two cups of tea.

  "So, am I safe to assume this is your first job?"

  "It's. . . that obvious, huh?" Sally asked, breathing out a forced laugh, "Yes, um, first job."

  "Mayes continues to vouch for you," Rosemerta informed, passing the teen a cup of tea, "He's guilty because you ran out of here the other night."

  "Yeah," She laughed, looking down, "I don't know why it matters that much."

  "Because he's too kind for his own good," The woman grinned lightly, "He cares about people, every customer that walks in— he's on first-name basis with our regular clientele."

  Sally looked sad at this. Rosemerta wasn't sure what she'd said wrong, and for a moment sympathized with Roman— it was far too easy to upset Sally.

  "I should get back to work," The redhead said quietly, already standing up, "You aren't paying me to sit around."

  Rosmerta managed a sad smile at the door swinging from Sally's rushed exit, the poor girl was clearly troubled and had a problem running away from whatever was in the adults that upset her.

  Salem made it an entire week working at the Three Broomsticks before she came back to her dorm to Dottie sitting patiently— a Three Broomsticks housekeeping uniform in hand.

  "Dot—"

  "You're either into things I don't want to know about, or you're doing something ridiculously stupid."

  "Ouch," Salem mumbled, shutting the door fully behind her, "That's harsh."

  "You're a maid at the Three Broomsticks?" Dottie asked, standing fully and letting the uniform rest on the bed behind her, "Don't tell me Roman was your dad and that's why you got a job there."