²⁶, MUM CAME TO TOWN

𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐂𝐊𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄
chapter twenty-six; Mum Came To Town
And I'm not. I'm not broken. "

  JAMES POTTER WAS in pure bliss

  JAMES POTTER WAS in pure bliss. He was on a high he'd never come down from. Not so long as Salem Gerard was right by his side, as she was now. And she was so beautiful.

  Salem was holding his hand, as if it became second nature, laughing at a joke Remus had mumbled and intended only her to hear, but Lily Evans was laughing at it too. 

  Admittedly, James figured his happiness wasn't entirely due to Salem, but the mixing of his best friends laughing their way through Hogsmeade and the girl who'd sneakily kiss the back of his hand when no one was looking.

  "Wait, what I'm hearing is that you think I'm the best ice-cream maker in all of Europe."

  "You're hearing what you want to hear," Remus pointed at Sirius, who shrugged with a grin, "You picked toppings, Pads, that is not making ice-cream."

  "Oi, it was a masterpiece."

  "That you ate in less than five minutes!" Lily shouted.

  "So I'm not only a world-renowned ice cream maker, but a world record holder—"

  "Oh, it's all getting to his head, please stop complimenting him," Salem sighed.

  "No one complimented him!"

  "C'mon, Gerard," Sirius sighed, "They can't help it."

  "Rendered useless to your charms, Sirius."

  "I never thought anything could make him more insufferable," Remus sighed, "I was proven wrong."

  "He's not insufferable, he's our comedic relief," Peter smiled.

  Salem laughed, which made James laugh, and as Lily pushed open the door to Scrivenshaft's, he gently pulled her under his arm and smiled when she let him.

  "Now we're all forced to be reminded of NEWTs, thank you, Evans," Sirius sighed, trudging behind Lily.

  "You're welcome, you'd never have remembered without it."

  "I'm simply immune to finals stress."

  "Whatever you're drinking, Sal needs some," Remus mumbled, hiding his smile as she whacked his back.

  "At least she'll be passing her NEWTs," Lily informed.

  "Oh, whatever."

  "Hey," Salem whispered to James as Sirius began arguing with Lily that he was taking a 'zen' approach to test-taking, "I think I saw this. . . super interesting cloud. . . outside."

  "Are you trying to take me outside, Salem Gerard. . ." James whispered in a teasing tone, already making Salem blush— or perhaps it was his lips brushing against her hair as he spoke, "To kiss me?"