CHAPTER TEN - FEAR

Wanda Maximoff - Private

The next two weeks flew by quicker than I realized.

Pierson and I kept up the training, and we were focused on me lifting objects that weighed more than I and throwing them in directions best suited for battle.

The feeling of impending doom never really went away, but I just didn't focus on it anymore.

The odd relationship between him and I only grew stranger, it seemed. Instead of my work, he would shift his eyes and stare at me.

Though there wasn't much talking, there certainly was a shift in the way we acted towards each other. Driven from the quite peaceful alone time we shared, I felt myself becoming more comfortable with his presence, and him in general.

And for the way he acted towards me; he was less harshly toned, calmer, and more patient with me, specifically out of our training sessions.

The boys noticed, especially when he would yell at them for something, and just give me a nod. I brushed it off as him being afraid of pushing me to something that they didn't want to see.

But I knew Pierson, at this point, and I knew he wouldn't have taken the job if he was scared of me in any way.

The weather was shifting slightly. With October pulling upon us, it was getting cooler, and the sunless harsh.

Now, it was a Saturday morning. The sky was somewhat grey still, and birds were chirping carefree.

"I can't hit that tree," I stated flatly.

He gave me a quizzical look. "Why not?"

"Because," I pointed up at it, "there are birds in there. I don't wanna hurt them."

He let out a scoff that dissolved into laughter. It was somewhat cynical but had its own touches of humor in it.

"What?" I asked defensively, knowing I sounded pretty childish.

"They're birds." He answered eyebrow raised.

"So? Look!" I said as I pointed again, realizing I could see something, "there's a nest! Do you really want me to have baby bird blood on my hands?"

He turned to look into the tree, raising his eyebrows when he saw the tiny little nest. Giving up, he shook his head. "Alright, you don't have to hit the tree."

Feeling accomplished, and somewhat giddy that I broke Pierson, I flashed him a grin.

He stared at me for a second, eyes on my smile. Something reflected in his eyes before he looked away.

Having time to just let go, and explore the capabilities of my powers was seriously great. I felt myself in a better mood, and my mind was clearer every day.

I wasn't sure how long, or if, that was going to last, but I felt pretty damn good and hoped it was long term.

I always was in a better mood when I was with Pierson, I noticed, seeing as he was the only one that really put effort into helping me.

Now that I was amused enough to grin at Pierson, I felt stronger. The old tree, which was decaying some by now, was still mocking me from where it laid.

"Not today, Tree," I thought with a smirk on my face.

I lifted it up a tiny bit, checking to see if any small animals would run out. When nothing did, I pulled it up higher with ease.

Days of trying different sized objects, holding them up for prolonged periods of time, proved quite useful now.

A rush of power overcame me when I lifted it up higher than ever, with not even a bit of strain on the connection between us.