CHAPTER TWENTY TWO - NUMB

Wanda Maximoff - ?

The numbness was a feeling I was used too.

It happened when my parents died, and Pietro and I were trapped in that rubble.

And when Pietro disappeared, I was numb for weeks.

But nothing compared to this feeling.

It was like I couldn't even feel emotions. Nothing, nothing bad or good. I physically could not focus anymore. I'd stare at someone, but I didn't actually see them.

Everyone noticed something was up with me. They'd ask, but I couldn't answer. My tongue wouldn't form the words.

Nothing could bring warmth or life back to me. Will was closest, but it wasn't enough.

I tried to ignore it as much as I could, but I knew what exactly I needed.

To do bad things.

Ever since Ivan left, it consumed me. I couldn't do anything but think about the times that we would steal a prisoner and do whatever we needed.

Even just exploding once more would give me what I needed. I hated being a completely empty shell, but I didn't have a choice.

So, when the sun went down and the night was over us, I left.

Obviously, not forever. I just needed to get away for some time, to try and bring life back to my body.

I snuck around for a bit, dodging patrolling men and such. I soon realized that it would take to long to do so.

With that in mind, I flew.

It was still something I wasn't used too. Yet, I loved it. It was graceful and smooth and elegant. I landed with nothing but a small thud. Whilst flying, I was pretty much silent, which was good.

Now, I was completely alone. Less than a mile away from the base, but still alone.

The forest was dark and daunting. Barely any moonlight got through the trees, and I was pretty much in complete blackness.

But that was fine. Nothing could amount to the darkness inside of me, anyway. I breathed in the cool air, snowflakes falling down on me.

And I let my mind wander.

Anything I could do to get feeling back inside of me, I would. I wanted to hug Will and smile. I wanted to laugh with the boys genuinely.

And most of all, I wanted to let my urges free.

I twitched as my vision contorted.

The war. Sokovia. Bullets. Gunfire. Energy. Ivan. Pietro. Will.

My body went cold as my breathing intensified.

At least I was feeling something, even if it was fear.

Zussman. Daniels. Aiello. Stiles. Perez. Maxwell. Turner. Death. Bloodshed.

My neck twitched but I remained upright. A bright red glow hit the closed lids of my eyes.

Letting go. Feeling. Emotions. Numbness. Pain. Urges.

I snapped.

Red flew out of me in a sharp circle, slicing through the trees and the bush around me. I let out a gasp as my hair flew up and I suddenly felt a rush of warmth, hot against my cold body.

It was over. And for the first time in a week, I smirked.

I felt nothing but destructiveness. But at least that was something.