CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT - FOR ME

Wanda Maximoff - Global Destroyer

It was March 2nd.

A full month and then some since I left with Ivan.

We're currently staying in an abandoned two room cabin he found. We're not alone, but it is lonely, somehow.

I asked him when. He said he still had to figure things out with the Mind Stone, saying it was the key to everything. I asked him for details once, and he said he was going to harness its power to better our chances.

To prepare me for this, he put me under harsh training conditions. I felt as though I'd pass out, throw up, and my heart would stop all at the same time. But he got me stronger.

I lost a little weight. Not much, between seven and ten or so pounds, but it showed in my face. There was food aplenty, but Ivan made sure I'd burn more calories than I consumed.

It's been probably one of the most isolating experiences of my life. The snow dried up, and yet, it was still dark. Birds began to chirp, and yet, it was still quiet deep in the forest.

Ivan and I didn't speak much. He didn't really have anything to say anymore, and I didn't either. I spent most of my time alone trying not to think about the boys or Will. But it was hard. So hard.

They were the only people I had a connection left with. Ivan's constant spelling couldn't cover it, no matter how hard he tried. But unless they all showed up and begged me to come back with them, I wouldn't leave Ivan.

I just wanted it to be over. To get it done with and finally relax in a peaceful world. Watch plants grow in cities and endangered animals repopulate. Watch the world become the garden that it once was.

Spring was nice. The sun wasn't hot but warm and the trees got greener and more full. Butterflies and birds flew around. I saw deer a couple of times. One came close enough for me to pet it, and she nuzzled my hand.

When I heard a wolf howl, I smiled one night. Soon, packs of them would keep the overwhelming deer population in hand. They wouldn't have to worry about soldiers plowing through with guns and rifles and traps. The idea of our new world was so pleasant to think about.

And then, I'd think of Will, and it would all be over.

Because I remembered that being in his arms once was my paradise. I twitched, and remembered Ivan didn't like me to think about it. I got up off my bed and went outside, seeing him stand in the clearing of the grass.

He looked off into the forest. He didn't have to turn his head to see if I was there, he simply spoke.

"It is almost done." He smiled darkly, "it is going to be soon. You are prepared, but you still need to let go of your comrades."

I crossed my arms, looking down at him from the porch. "It isn't that easy."

"I know it isn't," he turned to me, "but you can't let them come in the way of our plan."

"I won't," I said defensively, "if I did I wouldn't be here."

Yet he was unconvinced. "When the day arrives, you need to prove it to me."

I turned my head, watching as something of dark amusement danced in the blacks of his eyes. "What does that mean?"

He smirked. "It means it is you're doing."

My eyes widened and my arms fell to my sides. "No, you're kidding." He shook his head and waved his hand in unison.

"I am not. You are conflicted, still, even after you finally cooperated-"