CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN - HUMANITY

Wanda Maximoff - Global Destroyer

It's been four weeks since Zussman was captured, and Daniels and I were injured.

It was certain we'd be discharged. But that didn't matter to me.

I was furious. At the world. At everyone and everything that led up to the moment I lost him.

Him with that annoying nickname I grew to love. Him with the playful punches and fights and snuggling. Him and the way he'd smirk sideways with softened bright green eyes.

My injury took longer to heal than it should've. I guessed it was simply from the way my body just laid in bed and refused to do anything. I guess it would've been a depression state, but I couldn't feel that intense of emotions.

I still healed faster than Daniels was. Didn't mean I felt any better. When I was discharged from the med bay, I went straight to my single tent, knowing I'd be going somewhere.

With Ivan. I was done. I knew Zuss was about to endure torture, and I'd rather kill him quickly myself then having him go through with that. My mind was finally made up. I was ripped raw open and I was angry and tired.

I jumped a foot in the air and turned wildly when a sudden crack sounded out behind me. Ivan stood there, purple mist floating away, a smirk on his face.

"You should have expected this." He said, and I crossed my arms loosely.

"Maybe I should have. But I think you were waiting." His eyes were calculating as he studied me, smirk falling, as he tried to figure out if I knew something.

And then, when he realized what I meant, he smiled. "You are correct. There is no more conflict in you, no?"

"No," I replied smoothly, "there isn't. Zussman is-"

"I know," he cut me off grimly. "I know. But do not worry, he will not suffer. We'll make sure to that."

He used a purple line of energy to drag my stuff to him, "I will take this to where we are staying for now. I'll come back for you in a bit."

There was no goodbyes. He simply left with another crack and sparks of purple. I was alone in a now pretty much empty room, and I turned on my heel and let out a breath of air I'd been holding in.

But I wasn't alone much longer. Pierson stood at the door way of the tent; his large shadow fell over me.

"If you're going to lecture me, I suggest not too." I sounded as confident as I could make it, but my heart fell.

"You disobeyed a direct order," he ignored me with harsh words.

I could've argued, saying it was for the right thing. But it didn't matter. Zussman got away. Even if we didn't get in that Jeep and rode off, it wouldn't have mattered.

"I did," my throat got thick as Ivan's spell withered. "And it didn't matter, did it? He's gone."

I turned to face him before he got the chance to answer. "It doesn't fucking matter because he's gone, alright? So yell at me," my voice raised, "scream at me and discharge me and put shame on my bloodline but it still won't matter."

I took a few steps as meaninglessly felt tears stung my eyes, my body's natural reaction. "You can't take anything from me," my voice lowered, "not my enlistment or my gun, nothing that matters."

He stared down at me. His eyes were overflowing with emotion but at the same time, none.

"I've already lost everything. But I think I can lose a few more. So go ahead. Do what you need. See if it'll affect me or if it'll somehow make me feel worse." My voice was so low that only he could hear from our closeness, and I looked him dead in the eye.