CHAPTER FOURTEEN - SECRECY

A Wanda Maximoff - Super Human

The next day was somehow, more surprising than the last.

I was filled with anxiety, wondering how to face Pierson again, and if we were going to talk about what happened in the forest.

I sure damn wanted to but didn't know about him. Besides, I didn't want to make it awkward.

The boys are I were eating breakfast, talking about what happened yesterday. "Yea, Pierson taught me how to wield a knife with them," I said, "how I stabbed that Kraut in the heart."

"You and Pierson have been getting pretty close, eh?" Zussman remarked, and I could tell he was joking. But, I knew way more then he did.

Luckily, I knew if I froze or stiffened it would be obvious, so I smoothed over it. "What are you talking about?"

"I know, you've been spending way to much alone time with them. No doubt you'd be closer by now," he continued, eyeing me.

"Yea," Aiello spoke up, "ain't seen him yell at you since. . . damn, can't even remember."

"Alright, sure, we're on better terms than before, but that doesn't mean anything." Why'd they had all these questions when we actually had something to hide?

"You should've seen the way he was looking at you yesterday when you were talking to Turner." I blinked, staring at Zuss, unaware of this.

"What?"

"Yea, he was just staring at ya." I felt my chest tighten but kept my face neutral.

"Well, he was nervous Turner was going to say something about what happened with the Kraut-"

"Wait, what happened?"

I looked at Zussman, eyes wide, and realized I hadn't told them what happened. "Oh," I began, "you don't know?"

He shook his head along with the others, and they stopped eating to listen closer. "Uh," I began, "I accidentally killed a prisoner."

Stiles choked. "You what?!"

I shushed him, not wanting anyone to hear, "I know, I know. It was an accident. He lunged at me, and I just freaked."

They stared at me with their eyes wide. "I didn't mean to. . . it just happened."

Daniels let out a low whistle, "Pierson mad?"

I shook my head. "Not at all. Turner was a little bit, but he wasn't really yelling at me. I swear, it was an accident-"

"You don't gotta explain yourself to us, Soviet. He had it coming if he was charging you." Zussman reassured. "But, if anything's going on between you and Pierson-"

"Shove it, Zuss, before I make you." He just chuckled.

"Nah, we all know you're smart enough not to do anything like that, especially with him."

Oh, yea, there was the catch. "Besides, Pierson probably doesn't even have emotions," Stiles added on.

"Seems like someone who'd hit it and quit it," Aiello remarked.

They were definitely piling it on. "Right," I said, not wanting to hear anymore, "I gotta talk to Turner."

This was not a lie, for something had been eating me up all night. I left with a goodbye, and quickly set my sights on him.

He was speaking with some privates, pointing somewhere downwards. They saluted him, and then, walked away. His eyes scanned the area before landing on me.