Chapter 27

Promises are lies filled with false hope.

Natsuru Kigamiki

"What middle school are you both going to?"

Laughing Avary was the one who answered, "Why does it matter, it's in America."

Puffing my cheeks, I mock glare was the smiling boy. "I know that, I was just asking geez." Fingers ran through my hair making me look up at Adain whose lap I was currently laying on, my feet resting on his twin's lap.

"I think it's called Jefferson Middle School." Nodding my head, I closed my eyes letting the feeling of calmness fill me as Adain scratched my scalp lightly.

"What about you?"

"Hmm?" Not opening my eyes, I waited for Avary to continue.

"What middle school are you going to?" This time it was Adain who spoke.

"Oh, I'm going to the same school as Onii-chan."

"Teiko?" A nod was the response Avary got from me, "Whoa, that's a big school. I heard they are very competitive in both academics and athletics."

"But I'm sure Natsu will blow them away with his big brain and his hellish ankle breaks." Both Avary and I laughed at Adains words, while the boy just grinning widely.

"It's true though! Natsu, you're a perfect 4.0 student, I don't think you've ever gotten a score under 100% since we met, plus-- Mr. Captain, our teams are striving because of you."

"Yeah, because I study my behind off, plus the teams doing great because of the members hard work. Including you both Mr. Co-Captain and Mr. Strategist."

"Such a humble answer, maybe that's why I fell in love with you."

"Yeah, humble is the best way to be- wait what?" Sitting up, I looked over at Adain who was also looking over at me with widened eyes.

"I-I mean...I love you as a f-friend! Uh, yeah a friend, just homies." Adain was avoiding eye contact as he nervously scratched the back of his head.

It was dead silent for a few minutes before the sound of a book snapping shut and a mutter of, "That idiot," From his twin broke the silence. Feeling cold hands touch mines, I looked over at Avary as he sat in front of me. "What that idiot is trying to say is he like you in a romantic way, and honestly I do...too." He started off strong, but his words began to trail off towards the end.

His words once again shocked me as I stared wide eyed at the pair of blushing twins. But my stupider didn't last long as the confessions registered.

As soon as it did my face also went up in flames. "O-oh." Was all I managed to get out.

The air was tense before a loud yell shook the air. "Uh, this is awkward a heck, Natsuru please date us. We promise to ty to make you happy, we will even buy your snacks from now on. I mean, we already act like a couple anyway, so it won't be that hard. I mean, we can just keep on acting like we do just with more hand holding and hugging,"

"Adain,"

"We don't even have to kiss or anything, we can wait until our wedding day for that."

"Adain."

"But I understand if you don't want to. I mean first off we are all guys, and there's three of us and you probably just want a single cute girlfriend-"

"Adian shut up!" I shouted out, cutting off the rambling boy. Avary just watched, his blush not going away even after his twin's rant. Sighing, I rubbed my temples before thinking it over.

Adain was right, many people already assumed we were a couple since we were close. Even onii-chan and the twins parents thought so.

Sighing once more, I looked at the twins before speaking, "Fine, I don't know about marriage and all that since we are just elementary students, but I don't see any cons. We already hug and hold hands a lot so nothing will change right? So why not." Two identical grins etched across their faces before the two of them pulled me into a hug.

"You won't regret it!" They spoke in unison as they both pecked me on opposite cheeks, causing the parts they touched to burn a fury red.

"Y-yeah, but we have to work some stuff out first."

+++

Elementary school graduation was just a month away now and everything was going perfectly.

-Or so I would like to say.

Although the twins and I became official partners about two months ago things were already crashing fast.

The twins have been clingier and more possessive, at first it was stubble but then it grew to the point they hated when anyone came close, including their twin brother.

Whenever we played basketball Avary would attempt to bench me so that the other players on court wouldn't touch me and when I did play Adain was the one sat out.

Adain was the same, just more direct about it. Using threats masked as jokes to creep others away. I overheard some girls in my class talking about me only to find out it was some rumor Adain had spread about me.

Currently, I was at basketball practice, sitting on the bench thanks to the twins lying to the coach that I was injured. I let out an annoyed sigh as I watched another player stumble the ball, standing up I was about to call time out to talk to the team only to be stopped by Avary who grabbed my hand.

"What's wrong Nat-chan? Are you thirsty, I have some sports drink in my water bottle? It's fruit punch flavored, your favorite."

I shook my head at his words, a smile forcing itself on my face, "Ah, no it's fine. I was just going to give Yuto some pointers. He's been struggling with his free throw and as captain I should help."

"No!" Avary's shout caused me to flinch, the shout also bought attention to us which the boy just waved off by giving them a smile and pulling me over to the corner of the gym by the tightening grip on my arm.

Thankfully, he seemed to notice my discomfort and quickly let go of my sore wrist and grabbed my hand instead. "Sorry for yelling at you it's just... you don't have to talk to them. Adain is the co-captain if something is wrong, he can handle it."

I furrowed my eyebrows at his words, "Adain isn't good at 3-pointers, he's better at defense and 2-pointers. You know that you're the strategist."

"Even so..."

"No, Avary. I don't know what's been going on with you and Adain lately but I'm still the captain, I will be the captain until I select someone else to replace me when I leave the team." I explained, pulling away from his grasp about to walk off only to be stopped by the hand grasping my arm in a tight grip.

"Is that so? Then how about you quit the team already? It's not like they need you anymore, you haven't really been playing lately plus we graduate soon, the team is better without you. Adain too, see how free he is on the court now? I guess you didn't mean that much to him," Avary's words hurt, but looking at Adain who was happily laughing on the court as he showed his dribbling off to the others, I knew somewhere deep down he was right.

Arms wrapped themselves around my waist, I felt Avary's soft hair tickle my neck as he hugged me, face in my shoulder, "I know it sounds harsh but maybe it's time to retire from the team. You graduate from elementary school soon, and you can always play in middle school. Why not let them begin to stretch their wings? Afterall, you can't always be their ace."

+++

*Shyly steps out of the darkness* Hey, so look what I found in my google doc's drafts?

I was cleaning my google documents and saw I had chapters 27-30 pretty much already written, so I thought, hmmm, why not just post them and finish this book? Stop letting the readers down. So here I am.

I'm gonna have to reread the whole book to refresh my mind, but since the next 2 chapters are written I won't have to just yet.

~Lilah