CHAPTER 25

Two days later...

Law finally finished the antidote for the poison. The last step to cure Rosaline was the only hurdle they had to cross. They were almost there and it would only take a few days before she would wake up to hopefully her old self.

Law let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his messy hair as he sat at the desk of his office which was right next to the operating room. He hadn't moved from the table except if anything changed in Rosaline's state. Eating was the lowest priority one everyone's list, not having the appetite without Rosalie's food.

There was food that Rosaline had preserved for them but it didn't feel right to eat her food without her. He even missed the insults he received about how terrible his cooking was. It felt out of place without her standing in the kitchen, humming to a familiar tune.

Law never thought that he would miss her habits like he did. Moreover, he never thought he would yearn to see her lively blue eyes again. He wanted her to return. He wanted her to yell at him for not curing her sooner. He wanted to see her fire.

Law pushed himself to his feet and grabbed his hat before he fitted it back onto his head. He turned away from the desk and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. He disliked not having his privacy. Luckily, no one dared to go inside without his permission.

Law continued down the hall, on his way towards the room next door. He wanted to check up on her vitals again before leaving to search the island. There was a small piece of doubt growing within him that they wouldn't find the 'Redhead'.

Even if they found the infamous emperor, there was no telling that he knew that he had a daughter. They had to be prepared for a fight, even though their chances were very slim of winning. It was the worst possible outcome.

Law was quick to brush the thoughts away. He needed to stay positive even if it wasn't easy. He knew the consequences of his decision in getting Rosaline's father to save her and knew it would put her in the light.

He was also aware of the consequences it would have on her behavior since she hated her father to the core. He was sure if she was awake, she would've chosen against meeting or letting him save her. She would've stubbornly rejected any possible confrontation with the male.

However, now her life was in his hands and he was not going to let her slip through his fingers. He refused to let her die, especially when there was a way to save her. He could live with her hatred. All he wanted was for her to not die, to live.

She deserved better.

Law was once again reminded of her question and a pang in his chest made him hesitate at the door of the Operating Room. Why did he care about what happens to her? It was a question that lingered in his mind from the very second it was asked. What bothered him the most was that he didn't know the correct answer.

He had answered what he thought would be what she wanted to hear but the pained facial expression she showed him told him otherwise. Did she want him to care for her more than a comrade? More than a crewmate?

He didn't know.

He let out a breath and opened the door. He caught sighed of Penguin evaluate her vitals, documenting what was needed. It was the only way they could make sure if anything changed and everyone was ordered to let him know even of the slightest changes.

"Oh, Captain, you're here. Then I'll take my leave. I'll call you as soon as we arrive," Penguin said as he caught sight of his Captain and stood up. Law nodded and moved in beside Rosaline while letting his eyes roam over her unconscious physique.