Page 1

The rain beat down heavily on the city well in the evening. A teenage boy gripped his jacket tightly as the rain soaked his clothes. The rain made it hard to see that he was indeed crying. The boy took a different route home, casually stopping on the bridge he rarely crossed to get home from their place. The dark sky continued to hang over the city, the rain not lighting up in the slightest.

He wiped his face, clearly in vain before finding himself leaning over the wall a bit too much. The water below seemed not as calm as it usually was. He pulled back, once more wiping his face before throwing himself over. He prepared to feel the water engulf him but instead felt something tightly grab his wrist. He looked up and saw an older woman, looking at him with horror and genuine concern.

The boy was lifted back up with much effort and received a lecture soon after. It was then she offered to buy him a meal, refusing any answer but yes. She made a stop in a clothing store and bought an umbrella on their way to eat. She had the boy change into the new clothes as for him to avoid catching a cold.

He couldn't believe there were nice people like her in the world. She had to want something in return. It was just like her. The woman denied any ill intent and insisted that he at least drink and eat something light before going home. She called one of his parents as he nibbled on toast and drank a bit of juice.

After quite a long wait, he saw his mother run over to him and give him the tightest hug. The woman watched the touching scene, knowing how heartbreaking it was to lose someone precious. The boy's mother thanked her profusely and eventually left with him.

˚ ༘♡˚ ༘♡

His mother gently stroked his hair as he slept. She didn't know any of the details and he had long since stopped telling her and his father about a lot of things outside of school matters. She didn't blame him. She and her husband had started working longer hours, making their stay at home less than before.

"Mikoto... we're still here. Please talk to us..." she whispered, giving his forehead a kiss.

Her son Mikoto rolled over and snuggled himself deeper in his sheets. She heard the door open and saw her husband walk in looking worry stricken. She filled him in on what the woman told her, explaining that she didn't know the reason for it either. Nothing in Mikoto's room served as a hint.

They decided to take off from work for a week, planning to dedicate their time to their troubled son.

˚ ༘♡˚ ༘♡

The rain battered against his window as he sat in his room doing homework as usual. It was now night. His mother had come home and only checked in on him just to tell him that exact thing. Both him and his mother were aware of his father coming home later as of late. He wondered when his mother would confront him about it.

Homework. That one word dampened his mood. Homework. He gripped his pen tighter. Schoolwork. He tossed his books into the floor, throwing his pen at a wall and covering his face. He was tired. Tired of the same, mundane life he's been living. All he ever did was work, work, work and for what? Letters and numbers that wouldn't equal to jack squat when he went into the real world. He understood that he needed to learn, but he didn't understand why tests, quizzes and homework when you could simply just reread what you read to understand. He didn't even want to start with exams.

He dragged himself into bed, losing motivation to even pick up his books. He didn't want to be a goody two shoes robot anymore. He was going to live dangerously. A knock on his door caused him to look and grant them entrance.

"Hey, I'll be home late tomorrow. I made sure you have enough to eat for dinner." she said from the doorway.

"Thanks." he replied.

"Want me to turn off the light?" she asked. He nodded. "Goodnight, Reisi."