Chapter Fourteen - The Truth Hurts

I had no school today so I wrote this :) It took about two hours to write but it was completely worth it! Shit's about to get serious, so prepare yourself.... 

The photo on the side >>> asdfghjklsmdkjldklfdgjdz;.jxvz

READ AUTHOR'S NOTE AT END 

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Fourteen

*Rachel’s POV*

 I finished washing my hands and dried them on a paper towel. I opened the door and started to head back to the living room, when I paused in my tracks, hearing what sounded like Harry yelling.

“Trust me, I want to tell Rachel, but it’s a lot harder than you think!”

So they were hiding something from me. Forgetting the fact that I was supposed to be eavesdropping, I quickly said, “Tell me what?”

All five boys turned to look at me, not expecting me to be standing there. Harry looked like he had just seen a ghost and the other boys had similar expressions. They remained silent, until I broke it off.

“Harry, what’s going on?”

He sighed deeply and walked towards me with the boys following close behind him.

“Rachel, I need to tell you something. Something I should have told you earlier.”

The way he said that scared me. What was so important?

“What did you want to tell me, Harry?”

He let out a deep breath. “I… I was t-the one that set y-you and Niall up for t-the pen pal assignment.”

I felt my eyes widen and I stared at him in disbelief. No, this was most definitely not happening, but from the looks from the boys, I had a feeling Harry was telling the truth.

I tried to get words out of my mouth, but I was speechless. I couldn’t believe he kept that from me, for WEEKS!

“Rachel?” 

“H-How could you?” my voice cracked.

“I tried to tell you but it was hard! The boys were encouraging me to tell you sooner but I couldn’t! I didn’t even plan to tell them in the first place, but Niall found out first and I didn’t want to keep it from the other boys!”

I looked over to Niall. He stood completely still, his expression was hard to read.

I walked over to him, “You know about this all along? And you didn’t even tell me?” my voice started to crack.

“Rachel, I-“ I cut him off 

“And to think I actually trusted you.” 

His hurt expression killed me a little inside, but I ignored it. “Rachel, please-“

“No, forget it. I knew this was going to happen. I was so stupid that I actually believed that you cared about me. But, as always, you don’t” 

I could see the tears starting to form in his eyes. All of the other boys were completely silent, afraid to interrupt what was already happening. 

“But Rachel I do care!”

I laughed bitterly and I could start to feel the tears form in my eyes. “That’s what they all say. And for the first time I was actually stupid enough to believe it.” 

I turned around and sprinted for the front door, grabbing my backpack that I had left at the entrance and slugging it over my shoulder. I could hear footsteps running towards me followed by protests telling me to stop. But I ignored them. Instead I opened the door and ran down the steps into the cold air into the dark night and down the sidewalk. In the background, I could make out yelling from the boys.