01. parting

This was the day, the day when I leave all of my friends, family and my pets to go pursue my dream career. Believe me or not studying law has not only been my dream but also my whole circle of close ones. My dad always inspired me to pursue something that not only praised in my native place but wherever I go people should respect me. This was the first time I am leaving India for a long period of time. My School offered me scholarship to study in U.S.A, I first declined it saying that I didn't want to leave everyone here, but my sister was supportive of me and encouraged me to take that offer. After my mom died in a car accident, my sister took care of me like a mother, I was only 12 years old then, she was 5 years older than me. My mom always wanted to see her graduate but unfortunately god didn't wanted that, I used to cry for hours during night after I lost my mom, because my dad used to leave us in our home and he was a hard worker, my mom was the only one who used to take care of me, I used to say about boy problems, she will listen to me like one of my friends. I missed her after 5 years too, she had a greater impact on me, but I was sure about one thing that she always encouraged me to go abroad she always said that I had a greater opportunity there, that I would ace everything. I used laugh at her because I know I will not leave her even for a day, but now I'm leaving everything behind. Even though I used to go to Pittsburgh every year to visit my relation who settled there, I'm not very fond of them, there stayed my mom's cousin Brother who married a Native and got his green card to stay there, he didn't even call his own parents for his marriage with the fear that they won't allow him to marry her.

I accepted the scholarship as my sister said, she was married for a year now, and I was very fond of my brother-in-law. My dad convinced me to take school at Pittsburgh that they can feel safe that I was in a place of a known person, but I highly disagreed that I didn't wanted to do that, I don't want to be a burden to him. I convinced my dad that staying alone would be great and I will definitely visit him during weekends. My dad didn't like the idea of me staying in the dorm room but I told him that I would be careful and behave myself. My airplane was scheduled at 10 p.m., it was nearly 6 p.m. Our family had a heritage of being more than punctual; we will be early like an hour or two early. I mostly spent my afternoon crying, my dad promised me that he will for sure come to visit me once in a month although I knew that he would not be able to keep up his promise, but his words gave me whole new strength.

After a long 21hr flight I reached Philadelphia, it was 9:30 in the morning, I have crossed like major time zones, now in India the time would be around 7 in the night. The minute I stepped down I felt like I was being hit by a tsunami of feelings. The feeling that I missed my family, the anger I felt towards myself for not turning down the scholarship, and the intake of darkness that I was in a new city which I visited like 2 times before, I was scared and I could not help the tears forming in my eyes, I ran to the nearest restroom and cried my heart out, and made myself a promise that I should not feel bad for my decision instead I should take this as my opportunity to take in the cultural diversity and many other things which are new compared to India.