24. Unexpected allies.

I could hear my own heart beating so fast that I thought if either of them could hear it.  Sweat broke through my neck and forehead.  I used my leggings to swipe the sweat in my inner palm.  As discreetly as possible.

     I can feel it in my bones that I would die alone.  Who keeps secrets from a person who should indeed known that secret because they were a part of it? 

      One small mistake and I could loose everyone.  For one if Jordan knows that I indeed had a sexual intimacy with Zach he would cut all the loose ends and leave me for good.  Because I vividly remember him being so angry at me just for having dinner with him where he mistook the relationship but if he knew the truth, I could lose a very big part of myself I built in this city.

      I already made bad impression on Hayley and if either of them knew about Zach I could easily be branded as a slut.

     Already on a rocky relationship with Zach and Nick I should be happy that I could cut them off.  But instead I feel dreaded to lose either of them.  It is an unknown feeling.  I would definitely need to reconcile with them whilst I don’t know if that is a best idea either.

      Lastly if Adrian so as sniffs the truth, I am good as a dead meat.  Not only have I lied to him about my identity also used one of my friend’s - in this case – name for saving my own ass.

      “Fuck.”  I muttered again under my breath as Nick took his place in front of me his face in an amused expression.

      Nick’s gaze left mine and he regarded Adrian with an easy-going smile.

      “McLaughlin fancy meeting you here.”  He greeted.

      Shit.

      Athletes and their obsessive use of their last names.  God just kill me now.

      “Wilson.”  Adrian nodded at him.

       This is it. 

      “So, you guys are related?”  Adrian asked after a moment.

      “Yes.”  I said in a calculated tone as not to seem too eager.  I didn’t want Nick to be defending my answer.  We are related but not as Adrian thinks we are.  And the main problem was that I didn’t know what Adrian thought of both of us.

       “So, what cousins?”  I could hear curiosity in Adrian’s voice.

      “What?  No.  Just my sister’s –” Nick started.

      “Niece.  Yeah, his sister’s niece.”  I managed.  If Nick told that I was just a distant relative I would not share his last name.  And I will be screwed.

      Nick turned his head towards me and his eyes were wide and his face was contoured in confusion.  I didn’t even know whether Mia has a brother or sister.  God, now I am stuck with even more lies.

      Truth always comes out; my brain points out.

      “Please.”   I mouthed silently to Nick so that he will keep his mouth shut.  He quired one of his eyebrow and one side of his lips lifted into a smirk.  Like he says to me that I am now stuck in a bigger pit where there were more than one snake rather than the pit, I just escaped.  I let it set it into my guts.  I am indeed stuck.

      “Oh, okay.  I just asked because there was no resemblance between you both.  I didn’t mean the color, oh god, I just –” Adrian fumbled with his words.

       “It’s okay, Adrian.”  I said putting him out of his misery, “I just need a minute with Nick.  I will come back.”  I said to him while curling my fingers into Nick’s arm and hauling him out of the Court to the front of the building.