34. Bane of my existence.

AMELIA’S POV

      The moment I came to that decision Nick almost knew that something was going to go down.  So, he waved down the bill and payed for it.  We went outside towards the valet; I don’t know what he has in mind so I just played along.

      “Hey, man.  Can you hold onto the car for a little longer?”  He said to the valet and slapped his hand onto the man’s palm and my eyes widened.  He gave him one hundred dollars just to keep the car parked in the restaurant lot. 

     “Sure, dude.”  The valet said while pocketing the money.  I stared at the money which just went into his pant pocket.  I was about to protest and tell Nick that he didn’t need to keep his car here, but he just caught my arm right above my elbow and gently dragged me to the exit.

     “Nick, you didn’t have to give big money to everybody you see, to impress me.”  I said while remembering him tipping the waiter.  What the hell is he thinking.

     “Um, I don’t have to impress you any further than you already are because you will be on your knees in a minute if I genuinely start trying.”  Nick said so proudly of himself I can’t help but laugh.

     “You are so full of yourself.”

      “Baby, if I am not so cocky you would have fell on my lap rather than on my brother’s.”  He said.

     I smile at his direction and I was somehow wary that he knew what was happening between Zach and me.  Because not once did he treat this as a romantic date but a couple of friends hanging around with each other and I loved that.  If he was letting me go for his brother that was a damn thing to do.  I would do if I loved my sibling that much, too.   But it also had me thinking that sometimes he was acting like borderline big brother towards me minus the sexual acts.  I wonder if he knows he is very protective of me or he is doing that unconsciously.

      First, when I got concussion from face planting myself to the ground and secondly on the party when he was so pissed about the dress I wore.  And also, whenever we were together, he would scare of all the other boys when they warily took a step towards me.

      Thinking about all of this, now I do know how fiercely protective he is of me.  And that right there makes me all warm and gooey.

      We were walking side by side in the side walk just after we exited the gates of the restaurant.  I don’t know where he is talking me but I have to trust him and follow wherever he takes me to.  Without trying to talk myself out of the situation I started.

     “That was the last trip my mom took to Pittsburg before she died.  We as a family would accompany her sometimes but we would have our own works to do so she sometimes travels alone.  She was a travel journalist.  She likes to go to these crazy places with my dad and she would revisit some places all by herself.  She visited my uncle, her cousin brother, indeed she was the one introduces him to Pittsburg.  She was so excited for him; hence, she would visit him very often.  Thus, she would visit Adrian’s mom every time she goes to Pittsburg, and that is how both our moms became Bffs.”  We were still walking but now in a slow pace almost like both of us didn’t want to stop walking or end up moving fast.  Nick was silently staring at his shoes while he was walking but the short nods are the only things which tells me that he was listening.

      “That particular day she was mad about uncle not telling her that he had a girlfriend, that is Mia, and that he was serious about her according to uncle.  So, she fought with him that he didn’t confide in her and left to meet Adrian’s mom’s house a couple of hours before she told she would meet her.  But she said she didn’t have anything to do or go anywhere so she straight away went to Linda’s home.  When she realized that his mom was not in the house, she told the guy who opened the door that she would meet her afterwards, but that guy insisted on her coming in so she reluctantly went it. “