♣️Know Your Enemy | Soldier!Russia x Enemy Soldier!America♣️

This is only classified as a sad ending edge just cus nothing suuuuuuuuuuuuuper romantic happens in the end??

One or two of the scenes in this oneshot are inspired by the Australian novel The Running Man by M.G. Bauer. I do not claim to own these ideas, only the way they have been written.

TRIGGER WARNING:

Vietnam war, bombing, fighting, guns, shellshock, bleeding out, injuries

Stay safe, know your limits. If this oneshot makes you uncomfortable, I won't be offended if you decide to stop reading :)

~~~~~~~~

Russia couldn't hear much.

His eardrums were still tender from the bomb.

The world sounded as though everything was underwater: the birds, the wind rustling the trees, the screams of distant villagers in distress and the droning of planes dumping chemicals over the forests all seemed blurry and dream-like.

Russia continued to trudge through the thick jungle, shivering despite the humidity that clung to his multi-coloured skin and triggered the splitting headache that had been on and off for the past few days.

Days. Had it been days? Russia couldn't be sure; day and night seemed to blur together even before everything went downhill. War tended to do that.

"Bл, Блядь," Russia seethed, gripping his leg when a dull ache travelled throughout the connected muscles. (Russian: Ow, fuck)

It was still bleeding.

Still fucking bleeding.

His formerly clean and prim sergeant's uniform was torn in several places: sleeves, base, collar. He had been ripping off slices of fabric every time he woke up to rewrap his wounds, but the worst wound still hadn't closed.

Not only had it not healed, it was still painful as hell.

But that's normal for a piece of shrapnel lodged in your fucking thigh.

"Hello?"

Russia tensed, flattening himself against the trunk of the tree he had made his base the day before. It sounded like someone had heard him cursing or moving around or something equally stupid.

"Is someone out there?"

Yes.

"Aussie, is that you?"

Aussie? Who's that? Is that a person?

"It's not funny being out here alone, Zea! Dad's gonna get pissed if he finds out you were trying to play hide and seek or some shit."

Was this guy stupid? He didn't really sound like he could hold his own in a fight, although from this horrible experience Russia had learnt not to judge too quickly. Even the softest face can hide the most dangerous criminal. But skilled or no, this stranger could trigger an ambush by the enemy if he wasn't careful –

"Australia?"

Wait.

Australia.

That name sounded familiar.

"Aussie, c'mon I'm tired and hungry and I wanna go home! Please come out..."

Russia grit his teeth, eyes widening as he pressed against the tree even more.

Of course! Australia was Britain's daughter, she came with her twin sister New Zealand to help their father and older brother, America in the war.

Russia stiffened. America. That name.