August 1994

The room was small, not exactly what she had pictured but what really did she expect from a dorm room. Her roommate hadn't arrived yet so she watched as the movers her parents had hired carried boxes in.

"Rutherford?"

"Yes." She replied, looking at the young man with thick dark brown hair standing in her doorway. He was wearing a dark green button up shirt untucked, with the sleeves rolled up and jeans.

"Jocelyn, right? I'm Rafael Barba, the RA on this floor. I'm making rounds, seeing if anyone has questions, introducing myself to parents, that kind of thing."

"Jolie."

"I'm sorry?" He appeared somewhat confused by the petit blonds response.

"Sorry my name, I prefer Jolie." She smiled, blushing slightly, tugging at the shoulder of her oversized flannel shirt that had fallen off exposing most of the black midriff top she was wearing underneath.

"Jolie then, your parents around?"

"No." She said, dismissively.

"Oh, I can come back later."

"They are in London... or was it Frankfurt..." She trailed off slightly as she tried to remember where they had gone this time.

"Oh... well... do you have any questions?"

"Actually yes. I'm supposed to meet with an adviser tomorrow but I can't find the building on my map." She said, picking up the map she had been studying from her unmade bed.

"You know you really should have your schedule set by now." He smirked as she approached.

"I do. I just focus better when I have things mapped out. We're meeting to go over my graduation plan." She replied.

"What are you majoring in?"

"Statistics."

"Exciting." He said, sarcastically.

"Can you help me find the building or not?" She questioned, rolling her eyes at his comment. Rafael smiled and located the building on the map for her. "Thanks." She highlighted it so she would be able to find it again easily.

"I'll be back around when your roommate get's here, but if you need anything I'm just across the hall." He pointed to a door about twenty feet from hers.

"Good to know." She smiled as he turned to leave, heading to the next dorm room.

Jolie made her bed and started unpacking the boxes, trying to make her side of the room feel as homey as possible. She had made a pretty big dent when the quiet she was enjoying was interrupted by the chatter from a small family.

"Oh Sarah, it's perfect." The woman who had to be Sarah's mom said as they entered the room. The man Jolie assumed was Sarah's dad snapped a picture and an adolescent boy rolled his eyes.

"It's a dorm room mom." Sarah said, slightly embarrassed having noticed Jolie.

"Hi. I'm Jolie." She said introducing herself to the tall brunette.

"Sarah." Her new roommate replied. "I see you were smart and got here early so your parents couldn't embarrass you."

"Something like that." Jolie smiled.

"Can I get a picture?" Sarah's dad asked.

"Sure." Jolie replied moving closer to Sarah.

"I'm sorry, he documents everything." Sarah rolled her eyes.