June 1997

Rafael had been back in New York, settled in his old room at his moms place for a week and Jolie already missed him. Jolie had missed him the day he left. She was both annoyed and thankful for the summer classes she had to squeeze in if she wanted to graduate on time. If she hadn't needed them she would have most likely gone to New York with him, and as much as she hated to be apart, she felt he needed that time to focus on work and making a good impression. His clerkship was about him learning and creating contacts for future employment, not her ability to see him daily. She was also excited that he would be able to spend some quality time with his mom and abuelita, something he hadn't done much of while avoiding his father.

"Morning Tom." She yawned as she entered the kitchen in search of coffee.

"Morning Jolie."

"What time is your first class?" Sarah asked, popping out of the pantry and startling her enough to make her jump.

"Jesus... I'm not awake enough for you to do that."

"Sorry," Sarah chuckled.

"My class is at eight and I plan to hang out on campus until my other class at two."

"My class ends at eleven, do you want to grab lunch?"

"Sure, meet me in the library... you know where I prefer to study."

"You think you'll need to do a lot of studying after one class?" Tom questioned from the table.

"Not really, but I am bringing a book with me." Jolie grinned.

She may not have done much studying that first day, but summer classes move quickly and the next day, her down time had been filled.

The problem with finishing most of her studying between classes was that it left her with little to do once she got home... or at least that's how Jolie felt. She couldn't study enough for school that summer session and was finding herself getting antsy... almost wishing she had taken one of her classes from the last semester and added it to her summer schedule... just to occupy her mind.

She may have missed Rafael less if she hadn't been a third wheel to Sarah and Tom, Jolie knew she was being petty when she thought that. She was happy to see Sarah with someone again. Not that Sarah needed to be with someone, she had seemed rather happy being on her own, but it was nice to see her happy with Tom. The problem was Jolie had never been separated from someone she had been in love with before... she had never been in love with anyone before.

Jolie sat in one of their living room chairs, while Sarah and Tom snuggled on the couch. The credits to the movie they had just finished scrolled across the screen, prompting Jolie to move to the floor to rewind the tape.

"Are you hungry?" Sarah asked Tom.

"I could eat."

It was the same way the conversation started every night between the two of them and right on cue, Sarah turned to Jolie. "Where would you like to eat?"

"You guys can eat without me," Jolie chuckled, "I'm a big girl. I can handle Rafael being stuck in New York for the summer."

"Are you sure?" Sarah smiled, clearly wanting some alone time with her new boyfriend, but also wanting to feel like a good friend.

"I've spent a lot of my life with the people I love having to be somewhere that I'm not. I can handle two months with Raf in New York." Jolie stood and headed to the kitchen to find something light to eat for dinner.

"Do you want me to bring you something back?" Sarah called from the living room as she and Tom gathered their things to leave.

"I'm good. Go. Have fun." Jolie called back as cheerfully as she could.