012

Mariah awoke to her phone ringing. She was snuggled tightly into Janet, and reached over to grab it. Noticing it was her mother trying to FaceTime, she quickly got up and ran to the restroom. Closing the door, she answered.

Melina's face popped up and she smiled when she saw her daughter. "Morning daughter."

"Morning momma." Mariah smiled right back at the Queen who'd birth her.

"I just wanted to remind you that today we all have dinner with your father at 3:30."

The dancers eyes widened. She had totally forgotten about the family dinner this month. They tried to see Drew at least once a month saying he lived in Vermont now. "Mom, I might not be able to make it."

Her mother's eyebrow lifted. "And why not?"

"I have rehearsals at 3, and we usually don't leave til like 5 or 6. I missed yesterday's rehearsal... I can't miss today's."

"Well, when Janet Jackson calls for practice, you must pick up the phone. Alright sweetie, I'll let your father know."

"Ok. Thanks momma."

"No problem, mommy loves you. Talk to you later."

"Love you more." She called back before her mother hung up.

Putting her phone on the counter, she began doing her morning routine and mid face mask, Janet walked into the restroom with her toiletry bag. She smiled softly. "Morning."

"Morning." Mariah called back tightly for her mask was beginning to dry.

"How long have you been up?"

"Just a few minutes. My mom had called so I talked to her."

The singer nodded. "Oh okay. What're you doing after practice today?"

"Well, I might see if my family are out and about and go hang with them since I have to miss the dinner today."

Janet's face furrowed. "When's the dinner?"

"At 3:30, but we are going to be—."

"No we aren't. You can go. We can just double down tomorrow."

Mariah met eye contact with Janet in the mirror. "No we cannot. It's okay. I already told my mother I had to miss out on today and she understood. It's fine."

The younger woman began peeling the mask off and it came off in one piece causing Janet to mumble. "You're a pro at that. How?"

"It's simple. You just have to let it dry all the way."

Honestly, Janet had begun tip toeing around Mariah. Last night, the younger woman hadn't made it clear if she'd forgiven the singer or not but that didn't stop Janet from worrying.

"Ah. Okay." The singer unknowingly left it awkward and a bit tense.

Mariah looked at the woman before shaking her head and leaving the bathroom. She walked into her closet and grabbed a top before walking to her dresser and grabbing one of the many tights she owned. Remembering that Janet wasn't dancing in heels, she then went back into her closet and moved some things around. Mariah owned shoes, she just hated to admit it some days. Pulling out some Nike's, she immediately thought about who'd gotten them for her and smiled softly as she put them on.

When she looked up, she saw that Janet was watching her. The dancers face furrowed as she asked softly, "What?"

"You're just—." She stopped before she said it and mumbled. "Nothing." She walked towards the living room.