Chapter One

The ship rocked back and forth as the wind pushed them closer to the shores of Middle-Earth. Maedhros was silent as he watched the shore grow with each passing moment. He was lost deep in thought but his racing thoughts were broken as he heard a voice speak up behind him. "We should be there soon," 

Maedhros turned and looked at Fingon who was sitting at the edge of the boat. "Yeah, we'll most likely be there by sunrise," Maedhros replied.

"Most likely," Fingon replied calmly. Maedhros let out a breath and settled back a bit. He looked back at Fingon who yawned a bit as he stretched.

"Get some sleep, I'll wake you when we get closer," Maedhros replied.

"Leaving you to drown yourself in self-pity? I think not," Fingon replied folding his arms. 

"I will drown myself in self-pity," Maedhros said looking at him with a bit of a glare. 

"Really? Orcs may also sprout wings and fly," Fingon replied. Maedhros glared at him mentally cursing the fact Fingon knew him so well. After a moment Maedhros just turned his head back the shore. He closed his eyes and lowered his head. In a low voice, he said, "I do not want to talk about it right now Finno." 

"I am not asking you to speak about it," Fingon said softly. "I am just not going to leave you alone right now." 

"I would like to be left alone," Maedhros replied.

"Oh? So you want me to jump out of the ship and swim the rest of the way?" Fingon asked looking at him with a bit of a smirk. 

Maedhros rolled his eyes and looked at his cousin, "No. That is not what I mean. I mean I would like us just to be quiet, I would like some time to think and go over what we are about to do." 

Fingon just gave him a nod and settled back himself. Maedhros just turned his head to look out ahead of them once more. For most of the trip so far they had been quiet, they both had kept to themselves so far. Neither friend was sure of what really to speak about. Maedhros closed his eyes and leaned his head back thinking of a few days ago just before they started off on this voyage. 

~~~

Maedhros checked everything over on the ship when he heard footsteps behind him. He turned around and saw Nerdanel standing there with a soft expression on her face. 

"Mamil," He said straightening up. "What are you doing here?" 

"A mother can not see her son off?" She asked. Maedhros ducked his head a bit and said, "She can...but I am not leaving for another few hours. So why are you here so easily?" 

"I am worried about you are you sure you do not someone else to go?" She asked. 

"No. I am fine besides Fingon is coming with me. You have nothing to be worried about, we will bring Kano home." Maedhros said. 

Nerdanel looked at him and gently put a hand to his cheek and said, "Ninya melda min, you can not lie to me. I can see pain is clear in your eyes. Yet, you need to forgive yourself for what happened." 

"I know," He said softly without looking at her. Yet, after a moment he met her eyes and said, "Yet, I need just to focus on finding Kano. I have done enough healing here but what has he done to help himself?" 

"Just please remember to take care of yourself," She said. 

"I will," He replied. He bent down and hugged her. He felt her arms wrap around him and he heard her say in a soft voice, "har- tulca ninya pia nar."