Chapter Twelve

The battle was soon finished and Elrond was helping treat the wounded. This battle was not that costly but there just were many wounded. The only question was, was why? Why did they do this? Was this just a senseless attack or was it something else? Yet, he pushed those questions away and went to Maedhros's. He only sustained a few major wounds from the Balrog, one of them was a bit gruesome though. When he blocked the attack from the Balrog for the second time, his right hand was crushed in the attack. From what Elrond could tell the bones were all shattered making his right hand again useless. If he would keep the arm it would cause him nothing but pain, so he had only once choice and that was to remove it. 

Fingon helped Elrond make sure Maedhros was sedated with some herbs before Elrond went to remove the hand. As Elrond carefully removed Maedhros's hand, he stayed by Maedhros's side helping Elrond. Elrond then sat back and let out a long breath and washed his hands off. He then turned back to Maedhros as he heard a soft groan, he looked at his Uncle and rushed over. 

"Uncle Nelyo," He said bending over. 

"Elrond," He said breathing softly. 

"How are you feeling?" Elrond asked. 

"In a bit of pain," He replied slowly sitting up. He winced and grabbed his side and then looked down at his right hand or rather where his right hand once was. 

"The balrog destroyed your hand in your fight, it would have caused you great pain," Elrond replied. 

"It's fine," He replied. "I mostly still used my left hand for things," 

Elrond nodded slowly and asked, "What about the rest of your wounds?" 

"They are fine," He replied. "It just hurts a bit," 

"That's good," Maedhros said as he settled back. He winced a bit more and Elrond moved to his side and had him lay back down. 

"You need to rest, you did lose an amount of blood," He said. 

"Fine," Maedhros said closing his eyes. Elrond looked down and then up at his Uncle and asked, "Why did you insist on coming here with Fingon?" 

Maedhros opened his eyes and asked, "Would you have come here if I was not here?" 

Elrond looked at him and said, "Yes," 

"That's why," He replied. "If I did not come with you, I would not have been able to go see Maglor knowing you may have been killed." 

"But you are hurt," Elrond said. 

"Elrond. I have been hurt far worse than this," He replied looking at him. 

"I know you have...it's just now that you are back. I can not help but worry about you," Elrond said. 

Maedhros looked at him and laughed a bit, he sat up a bit and put his left hand on Elrond's head. Elrond blinked at looked at him, "What?" He asked. 

Maedhros just nodded and moved his hand back and said, "It's nothing." 

He laid back down and let out a breath. He looked up as Glorfindel came in with Aragorn. "How are you doing?" Glorfindel asked. 

"I'll live," He replied. 

Glorfindel nodded and noticed his right hand, "Oh..." He said. 

"It's fine," Maedhros replied. Glorfindel nodded and Aragorn sat down and asked, "Is it alright if I ask you something?" 

"Go ahead," Maedhros replied. 

"Would you have any idea why the enemy would do this? Does this mean they have a new lead?" He asked.