Chapter Eleven

Maedhros used his sword to parry an attack off and then slashed at the orc in front of him. There were more than 1000's orcs. Of course, there would be more than reported, things never got to be easy, did they.  He slashed at another orc and ran forward to help Fingon who was being held down by a few orcs. 

"Thank you," Fingon said nodding to his cousin. 

"Of course," He said. "Now we just have to get to the Balrog,"

Fingon looked into the direction where it was and looked at him and said, "A lot of orcs," 

"Yes, I can see that," He said as he slashed at one with his sword and blocked another attack. He did a quick sidestep and brought the hilt of his sword down an on orc and then swung it in his hand killing it.

"Come on, we should help Glorfindel," 

The two elves ran to where the Balrog was but as they ran there they did pass Glofindel taking out a large troll. He jumped off the creature and landed behind it and stabbed it. He looked at them and frowned, "I thought you were headed to the Balrog," He said. 

"Well we are kind of have our hands full," Fingon said as he turned and cut down an orc then looked back at Glorfindel. The blond-haired elf looked to the Balrog and asked, "They who is it fighting?" 

The elves looked at each other with worry since the have dealt with them before. So, they were the best well equipped to deal with it. When they got there, Maedhros froze and saw Elrond fighting the flaming creature. He saw Elrond got knocked to the ground and the next thing he knew he was standing in front of the creature with his shield raised blocking a deadly blow. 

"Uncle," Elrond said looking up at him. 

"You are alright?" Maedhros asked as he used much his strength to keep the Balrog from crushing him with the mace he had. 

"Ye- Uncle!" Elrond said as he moved up into a standing position. Yet, the reason for the warning was the Balrog was about to attack again. Maedhros moved back pushing Elrond further back and when the blow came down Maedhros used his shield once more but it shattered. Pain flared up his arm, he was not sure what happened, but his hazed mind still could fight. He slashed out his sword and burying deep into the creature's leg. He pulled it out and staggered back as the creature fell forward. He moved to the side slashing out word having the creature's side. The creature gave a loud shriek of pain, it staggered up the flames flared up about it. The creature lashed his flaming weapon out and Maedhros got back but it cut into his right arm. 

He moved back and a bit more and noticed his vision blurred. Yet, he saw two figures fasting approaching the Balrog from behind. Knowing, the Elrond would be safe and the creature would be dealt with he let his mind drop back into darkness. 

~~~

As Maedhros fell Elrond caught him and moved him back. He looked at the red-haired elf, he was alive but fainted due to blood loss and pain. Elrond looked up at the Balrog as it raised it's weapon once more but it let out a sharp sound. It turned as Fingon, Glorfindel fast approached it.

Elrond turned his attention to Maedhros's wounds and looked at the main ones. He would live and he let out a sigh of relief. He turned and took out two orcs who came near him and then he looked back to the flaming creature who was now on the ground. Glorfindel and Fingon both moved their swords into a downward slice slashing the creature's neck. They then moved backward as the creature went up in flames. 

"How is he?" Fingon asked as he moved over to Elrond and Maedhros. 

"He'll live," Elrond replied, he then looked up as Elladan rode over to them and said, "The orcs are retreating," 

"Good," Elrond said. "Take him to where the wounded are, we will help finish here." 

Elladan nodded and Fingon helped him place Maedhros on the elf. Once he rode off the others focused on helping to finish the battle.