Book Three: Chapter Four

While my father and mother were both busy with the festival of moonlight and Lorelle using her charm to get whatever she wanted, Aurelius and I went hunting although I almost died. Almost is the key word.

When I spotted a deer, grazing on something on the ground, I silently pointed to it. Aurelius motioned for me to take it down. I slyly took out my knives and quickly threw one at it, followed by another. The deer didn't even make a sound as it bled out.

"I don't see why we hunt if we have enough food," Aurelius grumbled.

"Because," I began, pulling out my knives. "I would go crazy if I stayed in the palace too long. I know that you would too." I didn't object to my reasoning as he lifted the deer onto his back and followed me to the meat shop. When we got there, Leone, a friendly middle-aged elf, inspected the game.

"Ten point buck. Very good. Here's your reward," he said, handing me a bag. Aurelius eyed it curiously but didn't say anything as we made our way back to the palace. When we arrived, we were met by Jetta.

"Your father wants you in his room," he said to Aurelius then turned to me. "I am to get you fitted for a dress." I grimaced. I hated dress fittings. She left me then to do any other bidding and I headed to my room. My mother was sitting on my bed, holding her own diary in her lap.

"Where did you get this?" she asked, not angrily, but in a lofty voice.

"Faradrim gave it to me." She nodded, the faraway look didn't leave. Actually, it scared me a little.

"Mom, is everything okay?" I asked cautiously. She giggled slightly.

"Of course. Everything's fine. I brought you something," she said, pulling out a box, a leather dress following afterwards. It was beautiful, leather and green material. She then pulled out another dress. A white one that would be easy to move around in.

"Aren't they just beautiful?" she cooed in a very uncharacteristic way. I nodded.

"I'm going to go, uh, yes." I quickly darted out the door and debated on whether to tell dad or tell Adalia. Knowing father would freak out, I headed to Adalia's room. I went to knock but before I could, she said,"Come in."

"What is it?" she asked, seeing me concerned.

"Mother has lost it. She's acting like she doesn't have any sense." Adalia smiled at me.

"I did that. I felt that she was too stressed out and needed a relief," she said, picking some leaves off of a plant and putting them into a liquid filled bowl.

"And how do I reverse this?" She halted her stirring.

"Why would you want to do that?"

"Because my father will loose it. We need her anger sometimes. Like right now." Adalia sighed at me before handing me a vial of purple who-knows-what. I muttered a 'thank you' before going back to my room. When I walked in, I realized that I was too late. I was also wrong about my dad not liking this. He loved it. Which is why they were making out on my bed. Ew.

"Stop it!" I yelled and they separated instantly. Father pushed a strand of hair away from his eye.

"What do you want?" My mother giggled, her ditsy state still there. I held up the vial.

"I came to fix mom since Adalia charmed her." He looked down at her, grinning like an idiot.

"Oh not you too," I said, sighing.

"Here, drink half of this then give it to mom before I go crazy." They did as they were told and in a few minutes, they were back to themselves. Which meant they just went back to their room to finish what they started, telling me to stay out of trouble. Hopefully I don't end up with another sibling. I think Lorelle and Aurelius are enough.

Just then, Lily popped into my door, wearing a similar happy expression as Adalia. It annoyed me to no end.

"Do you want to help set up with Lorelle and I?" I shook my head and she left promptly. Sighing, I sat down onto the bed. I was different, that I realized. I didn't want to be a helpless princess yet I didn't want to go on some big adventure like my ancestors. I just wanted a family with Faradrim but that was never going to happen. With me taking lives when I lost control of my emotions. Just think what sex would be like. Killing my husband. That would get me lynched for sure.

Someone knocked on my door before entering. It was Faradrim.

"How are you, m'lady?" I grinned.

"So formal. You know you can call me Kaelen, right?" He grinned back at me.

"Of course. M'lady just sounds nice. Kaelen sounds nice, too, though," he said, sitting down beside of me. I placed my hand in his, causing him to squeeze it in return.

"I know that I haven't known you that long, but I think I'm falling for you," I said, and he pulled me closer.

"I feel the same. Back in Gondor, most of the women didn't have class. Many of them were whores." For some reason, I giggled.

"I can assure you that I'm not a harlot." I breathed in his scent; a mixture of forest in sweat which you might not think smelled good but to me, it does.

"Get away from her," my father barked at Faradrim angrily. We jumped away in surprise.

"Did you de-flower my daughter, you filthy man?" he yelled, ready to punch Faradrim. Faradrim didn't look the least bit scared, though.

"I did not, and I don't think that you asked for permission to de-flower Lady Arietta." Father lunged at him and I threw out my hands, praying that anything would happen. Something actually did happen, to my amazement. An invisible wall was placed between Father and Faradrim, catching my father by surprise. He fell to the ground, glaring at Faradrim. I went and stood in front of Faradrim.

"Why do you care if I'm de-flowered?"

"Because I don't want you to go through the pain of childbirth so young."

"I'm not young!" I yelled at him. He lowered his eyes.

"Your mother wasn't too much older than you when she had you."

"And she survived," I countered.

"Yes, she did. But she doesn't remember all of the blood that she lost. She was in so much pain and I couldn't do anything to help her," he said, his voice full of guilt.

"So you're saying that you didn't want me born?" He jerked his eyes up to mine.

"No, I'm saying that I wish that she had you later. She couldn't walk for days after she had you." This time, I looked away guiltily.

"Leggie, calm down." We both turned to see my mother. She looked tired.

"No matter how long you wait, childbirth always hurts." Father looked away, sad.

"I'm sorry," I said, finding Faradrim's hand behind me. Mother gave a pointed look at Legolas.

"Just let them be. She was going to marry someone someday and I'm glad that it isn't Darwyn." With that, she walked out, leaving the rest of us to our thoughts.