The Appearance

The Friday night party was still at Calum's. Dethroned or not, all of Lakewood's finest and then some, wanted a sneak peek of the senator's home. Tragically enough all those people also wanted a sneak peek of Ashton and I together. Word spread fast around here, faster than any girl's legs for Calum Hood. I didn't like how the party-goers were staring at me. I felt famous for a second, until nerves came upon me. I loved my low-profile and quiet life, but the clashing of cheerleader and high school quarterback was going to blow my cover. The whole Letterman jacket was blowing my cover too. I was the last person any of these people expected to see sporting the item. Some probably thought it belonged to Michael or Luke, but little did they know...I was somehow Ashton Irwin's girl. I had another moment where I thought too long about the plan Michael, Luke, and I had agreed too and I became extremely unsure about everything. It was never like me to be unsure and question things. Normally, I went with the flow and just accepted things and moved on. This time I think it was because I knew I was in the wrong.

"They're all staring." I mumbled to Ashton, shooting everyone a nervous smile. I'd grown up with plenty of these people and they were likely as confused as I was with this. I just wanted some insider information and maybe a couple of free meals, but instead I was getting attention and a Letterman jacket from someone who hadn't known me for a month. I was turning into a shittier version of my own mother. I didn't like that. I wanted pride myself on being bigger and better than her. Fuck being a shitty person, yet here I was.

"It's okay." He rubbed his hand on the small of my back, maybe as an encouraging gesture so I'd move forward and stop blocking the entrance to the house. His touch was comforting, almost, it felt normal to me.

I was suddenly extremely warm in two jackets, the drizzle outside typically made me shiver, but I was sweating an awful lot right now. Ugh. That meant my bangs were going to be ruined and I would have to spend a really long time in one of the bathrooms fixing them. I quickly removed my leather jacket and hung it up, so I could at least sport the Letterman and make a statement tonight.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the antique grandfather clock's glass in the living room. I didn't look awful, but just awful enough to feel insecure and want to leave. The quick glimpse also showed me a girl I did not recognize looking back at me. This girl was evil and willing to do whatever she could to get things to go her way.

The countertops of the kitchen had, what I guessed, the usual supplies for Calum's parties. Alcohol, snacks, pizza boxes, and water for those who weren't interested in getting shit-faced. But who came to a Calum Hood party only to leave sober? Me, of course.

"The hippie herself has managed to get Ashton Irwin?" Calum came up behind Ashton and I, throwing either of his arms over our shoulders, smiling hard. His cologne was mixed with the scent of whatever he was taking shots of, kind of making me gag. I didn't see Elizabeth anywhere, so that meant her and Calum were still arguing and Evelyn was his go-to girl right now. Elizabeth probably wanted to be with Luke at this point due to his position on the social ladder, but Luke was too busy trying to impress Ally.

"Relax with that." Ashton huffed to his friend, At least, he was standing up for me a little. I could be happy with that small amount of effort.

"Well, have a drink, take some snacks, and dance a little bit." Calum stood in front of us now, holding out his red cup to us. He seemed happy for someone who had their relevancy snatched from them a week into the school year. Was it the alcohol talking? "This world is now yours, Sage."

He spun around on his heels, taking a sip from his cup. This then prompted a few of Ashton's new football friends to gather around him, share high fives with him and congratulate him on playing a great game. It was a really great game, I could admit. I wasn't expecting Ashton to pull off a winning game.