A Beautiful Catastrophe

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

Marlena burst into the air above the army as soon as Steve uttered those final two words. Thanos's army was massive, as was their own, but Marlena could feel a strong sense of determination bleeding from the minds of those that fought alongside her. Thanos and his army were without a doubt extremely powerful and very well armed, but with each strike to every incoming soldier, Marlena knew they were outmatched. The day had come for the Mad Titan's retribution, and the Avengers were ready to give him hell.

A Leviathan dove for Marlena in the air, but she was quick to counteract the attack. She watched as the bright blue of her energy engulfed the large being, and she began crushing it from the inside out. It dropped to the ground, thankfully avoiding any member of her team. It felt strange to have her powers back, but for someone who'd been without them for five years, she had yet to miss a beat. She also felt safer knowing she had her abilities to rely on apart from her combatant skills; she wasn't sure how things would bode for her physically were she to be without them. Thanos's army was strong, and while Marlena was too, she wasn't the one worth worrying about.

"Good to know you still got it in you, Claire."

The voice in Marlena's ear put a smile on her face. It belonged to Sam, who Marlena believed she'd never see again. Here he was, though, taunting and teasing her on the battlefield the way he used to. "Some of us never lost it, Wilson," Marlena teased back.

"Can you guys please focus?" There was Steve, who never failed to reprimand the two whenever they got started with one another. "Kinda important...that we don't lose...this one."

"No shit, punk." Then Bucky, the one who always shot back at Steve with a sarcastic remark. He had about a hundred years worth of sass left to throw at America's favorite soldier, and as Thanos would have it, now he had even more.

"Y'know, some of us are actually trying to work here," Wanda's voice came through the comms last, her comment only putting a smirk on Marlena's face. Wanda dove down, releasing a burst of energy powerful enough to kill any one of Thanos's troops within 50 feet. She took a deep breath and looked around quickly before shooting back into the sky. She was looking for Thanos, but she definitely wasn't the only one who had unfinished business with the Titan.

Marlena landed on the ground by Steve, Bruce, Bucky, and Rocket, all of whom were working to fight off a massive group of Thanos's troops. It was only now Marlena was able to notice Steve's very battered appearance; she could see the blood stains on his suit and the large wounds in which they belonged to. He was in physical pain, that much Marlena could sense, but his determination to win the fight was stronger. That didn't make her feel any better about his appearance, however.

"What the hell happened to you?" Marlena asked as she and Steve worked to defeat the approaching targets.

Steve glanced over at her, though he turned his attention away quickly to focus on the fight. "What do you think?"