Comes With Being An Avenger

"And I'm gonna need a skinny vanilla latte for the skinny vanilla brunette."

Marlena rolled her eyes at Bucky and practically shoved herself in front of him at the counter. She wanted to be happy with his attempt to cut the tension between the three of them, but at the moment all she cared about was getting her coffee. She'd had a long day and needed the boost, though she wouldn't be getting it from a skinny vanilla latte.

"I'll actually have a Hazelnut Bianco with whipped cream, please," Marlena told the cashier as she pulled out her wallet.

Steve, Bucky, and Marlena had found their way into one of the many Starbucks New York City had to offer. It was just the three of them, as the twins were back at Sam's apartment. Bucky and Marlena dropped them off not too long after dealing with Kellan, who was resting uncomfortably in a holding cell at the Tower. After the altercation between him and Marlena, she and Bucky spent several hours talking to Alena about him. They needed to know how to contain him, as his teleportation abilities allowed him to transport himself anywhere he pleased. Alena was much more help than Marlena anticipated she'd be, but after learning of his attempts to kill Marlena, Alena knew then everything they'd done had gone too far. Kellan was never supposed to hurt Marlena, and he most certainly wasn't supposed to kill her. She'd made it clear to him numerous times, yet he'd gone behind her back regardless. For that, he deserved the consequences, just as Alena knew she deserved her own.

Marlena wasn't too thrilled, though. Kellan's unexpected arrival postponed her day out with her family, and she wasn't sure when she'd get another one. Greyson received his money only hours ago, and he and Miranda had plans to head back to Washington with Mason to continue their search for a home; her father was roaming around the city looking for a place to live; Wanda and Pietro had already left for Clint's. Everyone was retreating into their own corners, and while Marlena was thrilled with the thought of them finding their footing after being gone for so long, she wasn't ready to miss them quite yet. She'd just gotten them back.

After paying for her coffee—as well as Steve's and Bucky's—Marlena strolled over to a lone table at the opposite end of the coffee shop. She didn't want to be near anyone, especially while she was out with one of the most recognizable faces in the world. Marlena could only hope Steve's growing beard was enough to prevent him from being recognized.

"I'm pretty sure your doctor told you to calm down on the caffeine, Marlena," Steve said to her as he and Bucky walked over with their drinks in hand. Steve sat hers down in front of her and sat down, while Bucky sat down beside him.

Marlena grabbed her drink and took a careful sip. It was hot, that much she expected, but it was much too good for her to care. "This is the first sip of coffee I've had in days, and given how today has gone, I think I deserve it."

"Five years later and you still don't listen to anyone," Bucky remarked, bringing his cup to his lips.

Marlena shot him a look and sat her cup down on the table. "Okay, I thought we came here to talk about Charlie? Not my caffeine intake, which is nowhere near as bad as it used to be, by the way."

"It's still pretty ridiculous," Steve chuckled.

Marlena rolled her eyes and took another sip of her drink. "I would really like to talk about Charlie, guys," she said to the two of them.

"What happened this morning that you wanted to tell me about?" Bucky asked her.

"I saw Natasha," Marlena answered, a frown on her face as she thought of her lost friend. She remembered how it felt to see her face after believing she'd never see it again, but it hadn't been real, and Marlena came to terms with that hours ago. "The twins were having breakfast and I was talking to them about Natasha. I guess Charlie tuned in to how upset it made me and accidentally did the only thing she could think to do to make me happy in that moment, and that was to bring Natasha back."