Cat Got Your Tongue?

When Marlena arrived at the Tower, it was bustling with workers from Stark Industries. She assumed them to be preparing the building at Pepper's request. She learned from Steve that Pepper bought back the Tower in Tony's honor for the sake of protecting and taking care of the team and the universe he sacrificed everything for. It was a beautiful tribute, as the team had left so much history and so many memories inside the tower. Marlena had her fair share as well, but in that moment, those memories, and that history, was the last thing on Marlena's mind. She was much more concerned with finding Alena.

Marlena quickly greeted the workers running around and headed downstairs. Bruce wasn't there, but Marlena was okay with that. She wanted to talk to Alena alone, and that was exactly what she planned on doing.

"Hello, Marlena," Alena greeted the brunette from inside her cell.

Marlena stopped in front of Alena's cell door and stared in at her; she was laying on her cot staring up at the ceiling. "I brought you some food," she told her.

"From where?" Alena looked over at Marlena. "Please tell me it isn't McDonald's. Their food is absolutely atrocious."

With the press of a button, Alena's cell door was opening and Marlena was stepping inside. Marlena held out the bag of food to Alena, a soft smile on her face. "It isn't McDonald's, but it's the next best thing."

"Superiority Burger?" Alena took the bag from her hands and inspected it. She wasn't a New Yorker, so she wasn't too sure what she was about to put in her mouth. Marlena could've been poisoning her for all she knew. "What's that?"

"It's a vegetarian restaurant on 9th street," Marlena answered and sat down in the desk chair. "I figured you could use a decent meal."

"Thank you."

Alena sat up and began pulling the food out of the bag. Marlena watched her, unsure of how to begin the conversation. She had a few things she wanted to talk about with Alena, but the one thing she couldn't seem to shake from her mind was Charlie and how exactly she was supposed to help her. She was so powerful, much too powerful to be just nine years old. Marlena knew Charlie was struggling tremendously, and she hated it so much.

"What did you do to help Charlie?" Marlena asked Alena after several seconds of silence.

"What do you mean?"

"When she started growing in strength with her abilities," Marlena answered. "How did you help her?"

"Very delicately," Alena started. She took a bite of the sandwich Marlena had gotten for her. "Until we truly understand how to control our powers, our emotions are enormous triggers, and they were especially so while she and Jay were with me. She would get upset sometimes and hurt a few of my men, so I had to take things down a notch. I praised her for everything she did right and tried to maintain positive energy when she did something wrong, otherwise I would've spent my nights scraping middle-aged men off the wall."

Marlena frowned at the sound of her words. She wished so badly to have been there for Charlie—for both of her children—over the last five years. It was the sole reason Marlena found it difficult to speak with Alena. Marlena was giving her a second chance as she promised, but it did not come without its downfalls.

"What happened that you're asking me this?"

Marlena looked from the floor to look at Alena, her hazel eyes meeting those of her sister's. "I saw Natasha this morning, and I know I'm still a mess over losing her, but I know I didn't do it."

"She doesn't even know she's doing it, does she?"

Marlena only shook her head.

Alena put her food down and scooted forward on the cot. "I hate to tell you this, sort of, but it's only gonna get worse."