A Tough Act To Follow

Marlena's MacBook screen was lit up in front of her on the counter. She looked over the words on the screen with a bored expression on her face and groaned quietly. All of her paperwork for school was due before she could begin the semester in January. Her life had become incredibly hectic in just a few short weeks, but she refused to let that keep her from her studies. Since she'd been back to school, she'd been determined to finish. She had her sights set on a better future for her family, whether or not that future was a result of her work for the Avengers or her work as a psychiatrist. Regardless, all she wanted was to pursue a dream she'd once lost and provide for her family in the process.

"I'm so sick of doing all this paperwork," Marlena grumbled to herself. "All my information is still the same as it was last semester."

"Sooner or later it won't be," Steve told her from his spot at the stove. He was working on fixing breakfast for him, Marlena, and Jay, the latter of whom still remained asleep. "You'll have a new name, a new address, new everything."

"That doesn't mean it's any less annoying," Marlena muttered, pushing her glasses further onto her face. She was beginning to believe she was done with her contact lenses for the time being. They'd become way too much work, though the process of getting used to her glasses was a long one.

"When do you go back?"

"My first class starts January sixth," Marlena informed him. "That means I'm gonna need a little extra help in the parenting department. I know it's a lot to ask because they're not your kids, but—"

"I've loved those two since before they were born," Steve quickly cut Marlena off. "Helping you is a non-issue, and you know that."

"I just wanna make sure you're comfortable with everything," Marlena said. "Things aren't just changing for me or Charlie or Jay or Bucky; you're getting ready to be a father and a stepfather. It's a pretty major transition, and all I want is to make sure you're comfortable with it."

"I'm comfortable, Marlena." Steve turned to look at her, a reassuring smile on his face. "You...a family...it's everything I've ever wanted, and you know that. I'm gonna do whatever I need to do to help you."

"Thank you." Marlena smiled at him. "Thank you for being okay with this."

"I have to learn how to be a parent somehow."

"I'm gonna be honest with you, you never really learn how to be a parent," Marlena chuckled and turned back to her laptop screen. "It kinda just hits you in the face. I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing, and I've been a mother for nine years."

"I've always believed you were an amazing mother, Marlena," Steve complimented her. "It's the reason I know we're gonna be okay."

"That actually means a lot to me, and I say that as your best friend rather than your fiancée. Since I've known you, your opinion of me has, for some reason, always been important to me," she admitted to him.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah, I like to think it's because of the way Jo always talked about you." Marlena couldn't help but smile as she recalled old memories with her great-grandfather; even after so many years she still missed having him around. "He always talked so highly of you and Bucky. You two were everything to me growing up. So was Dugan."