The Proposal

Poker is a very interesting game, as I have discovered. I am actually pretty good at it, except when Roger doesn't fold. So far, I have taken 12 pounds from Keith, 18 from John, and lost 4 to Roger. Roger was simply unreadable, he didn't give anything away. Unlike John, who blushed whenever he got a good hand, or Keith who would start bouncing his leg. One hand, I was determined to beat Roger with the full house I had. I had aces over tens, so how could I loose? The pot was over 30 pounds, and Roger kept raising the bet.

"You want to get out now, before I take your money?" Roger grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "No, because I'm going to win."

With that Roger called, and laid down four Queens, and an ace. I slammed my cards down on the table. "This game is stupid!"

Keith grinned. "Dinner's on Roger!"

"Wait--no--" Roger tried to protest, but we all helped him out of his chair and out the door. John banged on Pete's door, saying dinner was on Roger, and he followed us. We went to a small restuarant, I don't remember the name, and were seated in the back. Roger and Pete ordered shots, and John got a beer, but Keith just ordered water. I squeezed his hand under the table. We ate, laughed, and talked until the place closed at ten, then Keith took my hand and got down on one knee. I just about fainted.

"Kenleigh, would you do me the honor of waiting for me while I pick up my napkin off of the floor?" Keith said with a smirk on his face.

I shook my head. "I hate you, Moon!"

"What did I do? You didnt think--you thought I was going to propose to you!" Keith laughed.

"Well, you got down on one knee--"

"That's so old-fashioned, have faith in me, Kenleigh!" Keith laughed.

What happened did keep me up late that night. Keith was wrapped around me, snoring into my hair, but I was wide awake. Would Keith actually ever ask me to marry him? I loved him, and he loved me, so why not? I knew Keith wasn't really one for marriage, I could tell since I've known him all these years. It would be a major commitment for him. I knew that he would have to stay loyal to me, not only being faithful, but I didn't want him drinking. It would be hard on him. But if he loves me as much as he says... why not?