Epilogue, Part 2

A/N: this is based on an idea by @Beatle_Ringo13 so, here's part 2 to the epilogue :3

August 22, 1998

Reading the latest letter from Keith (Jr) depressed me a bit. Of course I was happy about him getting into Princeton University, he would be away from home for four years. Possibly longer, as he may not want to come home.
My life has been somewhat of a drag these days. It's been 20 years since the love of my life passed away, and for the last 2 years, I have been alone in this big house. I never moved away, I still have several of Keith's things placed around the house, and a lot of the neighbors I have known since Keith was alive have moved away.
Roger lived just two doors down with his family, but they moved to a bigger house in the outskirts of London. Pete and Karen still live three streets away, but they'll be moving soon. John moved a year ago, too. I have a whole new set of neighbors; it's depressing.
A year after Keith died, I got my job as a waitress, at the same diner I worked back in 1964. Two years later, Patty, my boss who fired me back in 64, died of a heart attack. The diner went to her husband who sold it, and I was laid off. I've had several jobs since, as a secretary, waitress, I even played guitar at a bar a few nights a week.

Keith Left me enough to live comfortably on for the rest of my life, so there wasn't really any reason for me to get a job. I just got bored sitting at home all day. And since Keith Jr. Moved to New Jersey with his girlfriend, Melanie last year, this house, this street, hell, all of London was lonely. I was around people a lot, but I was alone. Severely alone. I mean, why do I keep going? Why do I continue day to day? What is the point?

Roger came over around five, and I made him some tea.
"You're looking a little pale, Kenny," After all these years, he hasn't dropped that nickname.
"Just haven't been out much." I say. "Roger, what happens to us when we die? I mean, what do you think heaven is like?"
Roger squints at me quizzically. "I don't know... I always thought that heaven is where you were happiest, like, you go back to the time when you were happiest and you stay there forever. Just my opinion, I guess. Why do you ask?"
I sit in silence for a bit. "I don't know, I was just wondering."

When Roger leaves, I eat dinner and watch the tele before going to bed. I page through the photo albums as I always do, remembering the days, the years, never wanting to forget. As I find one of Keith and me asleep on the couch at Roger's, I see tears drop onto the page. My heart has had a heavy, dull pain for 20 years. I wanted to have happiness again. I wanted to be happy without a care in the world.

I close the photo album, but not before taking the photo of us sleeping. I reach for my glass of water and my sleeping pills. I always took two to help me sleep, which I took a few minutes ago. How could a few more hurt? I swallow several, kiss the picture, place it under my pillow, turn on my CD player to 'Behind Blue Eyes', and drift off to sleep.

--------------
When I wake up, the first thing I notice is my hand against the white pillow. It's smaller, softer, paler. My fingers not as calloused. The sun shines through the window into my eyes, blinding me. I turn over a bit and find a warm body wrapped around me. His arms around me waist, face buried in my hair. His chocolate bowl-cut hair messed up. It never did look quite right.

I reach over and kiss the spot right between his eyes, waking him up. I see Keith's beautiful brown eyes stare back at me, a little smile on his lips.
"Why does it feel like I haven't seen you in years? It's only been a few hours," he asks innocently.
I smile back. "I have not idea, darling."

A/N: so, don't hate me for killing Kenleigh, but hey, look at how it ended. Hope you guys enjoyed this little post epilogue epilogue (:P) 😊😊