1.

TRIGGER WARNING:
This book is very intense and covers dark themes. If you think anything regarding assault, abuse etc might trigger something, please do not read. It's going to be a bumpy ride ;)

0•0•0•0•0

Alex's POV

"Alexandria Sophia Carter, you are hear-by sentenced to be executed on the first of November twenty-eighteen, for the murder of Noah Miller."

The judge bangs his gavel, making the statement final. Reporters and viewers in the court room cheer and clap.

The sound of it all becomes one loud ringing sound in my head. I squeeze my eyes shut, not wanting to see the sympathetic looks my lawyer is sending in my direction.

I want to scream that I didn't do it, but they wouldn't believe me. I have no proof. All the evidence points to me.

I was set up, and whoever set me up did one hell of a good job.

An officer comes up behind me and grabs my arms, wrapping a pair of cold metal handcuffs around my bony wrists. Damn, I never thought that the first time a man handcuffed me would be in a court room. The officer pulls me in the direction of the exit.

As I'm dragged through the court room, people shout curse words and all kinds of insults at me. I keep my eyes on the ground and zone them out, not wanting to get myself in any more trouble.

Although, how much more trouble can I get in? I'm going to be executed in two months.

I am thrown into the back of a white police van and the door is immediately shut behind me, trapping me in the poorly ventilated space. Thank God I'm not claustrophobic.

Although I'd rather be claustrophobic than be sentenced to death for a crime I didn't commit.

Anyone want to trade?

I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but my luck has never been this bad before. I just wanted to buy food, when it happened. Now I'm going to be eating stale bread until the day I die.

After a drive that feels like half a lifetime, the van stops and the same officer who handcuffed me pulls the door open. "Get out," he demands.

I lean back into the rigid plastic seat. "But I just got comfortable," I lie and smirk.

"Get out, before I put you in solitary!" the officer barks. I huff and climb out the van.

"Is that allowed?"

"Silence." The officer leads me into the dull building and takes me to a small room, where another officer waits.

As soon as I step into the uncomfortably small room, my eyes widen. I went to school with him. His intoxicatingly dark brown hair is something I could never forget.

He shuts the door. "Hi, sexy," I say and smile. His eyes bore into mine.

He unlocks my handcuffs and pulls them off. "Keep your mouth shut," he demands and roughly pulls me to the center of the room. His voice is so deep and smooth... Damn.

There are small yellow footprint stickers on the floor. "Stand on the stickers with your arms spread out." I do as he says.

He pats me down, feeling every inch of my body. I almost let out a sigh, enjoying the feeling of his large hands on me.

What? I haven't been touched by an attractive guy in a very long time, okay?

"Take your clothes off and change into this," he says, handing me a neon orange jumpsuit and strange brown rubber shoes.