5.

Alex's POV

This is a bad plan, but it's the only option that has the tiniest chance of working.

I'm going to need someone to believe me if I want any chance of getting out of here. I can see that Cage has some humanity left, so he might be my only option.

The only way I'm going to get him to listen to me is if he actually cares about me and doesn't want me to die.

I need to make him care.

It's going to be really hard but I have to try. I don't even know what my game plan is, all I know is that I'm kissing him right now and it feels... good.

For a second, he leans into the kiss, but quickly pulls away once he comes back to his senses. A memory flashes before my eyes and my arms immediately fly up to protect myself and I keep my eyes shut, expecting the worst.

My heart is racing.

When nothing happens, I lower my arms and look around the room and then at Cage.

He looks angry and confused. "What the hell is going through your head? Is there something wrong with you? Why would you kiss me?"

His hands slide into my hair and he tugs it back harshly. I wince and let out a small cry of pain. "Cage that hurts," I whisper.

"I don't care," he growls, but I feel his grip loosen slightly. "Don't call me by my name and don't ever think about kissing me again. I'll forgive you this time, but you can't imagine what I'll do to you if you ever try it again."

I nod. He's looking at me so intensely that it makes me want to look away, but I don't. Instead, I find myself getting lost in the moment.

Something has hurt him. You can see it in the cracks of his eyes. They're soft and kind, but broken. He tries to be tough, but his eyes give him away.

If he keeps staring into my eyes, maybe he'll see I'm not a bad person. The eyes are the windows to the soul, right?

"Okay, we can— oh, is everything alright in here?" the nurse questions as he walks into the room. Cage drops his hand from my hair and steps away from me.

"Everything is fine. I'm just putting her in her place."

"Alright, well you can go now. I will need to monitor the swelling so she will need to stay here for a few hours. I'll buzz you when she's ready to go back to her cell," the nurse says.

Cage nods and glances at me one more time before walking out.

"Okay, I'm going to elevate your ankle. I'm also going to watch it to make sure the swelling doesn't get worse. You can just relax," he explains, and puts a pillow under my head and then a few pillows under my foot. He presses down a bit on my ankle to see where it hurts.

"Do you have any other cuts or anything that hurts?" he questions.

Everything hurts. "I don't know."

"Well tell me if anything starts to sting or if you notice any bleeding." He analyzes my body a bit and then takes a seat next to my bed. I frown. "Wait, are you actually going to sit here and watch my ankle?" I ask.

He chuckles. "No, were not allowed to leave inmates unattended and since you're the only one in here today, I can watch you so an officer won't have to," he tells me. I nod. "So, what are you in here for?"

I purse my lips. "Murder..."

"Ah, classic." I look at him and he leans back and folds his arms across his chest.

"I didn't do it," I add.

"Right, because all the other murderers confess to their crimes," he says, obviously not believing a word I'm saying.

"Whatever," I mumble.

It is unbelievably frustrating when you're telling the truth but nobody believes you.

I'm just going to have to let go of this frustration and fear and focus on my plan to make Cage care about me.

That way he will listen to me and maybe find proof that I am innocent.

This plan means that I can't hold back. I can't be scared. I have to give this my all, otherwise I'm going to die.

Someone knocks on the door. I look up and find a guard carrying a man by his collar, practically choking him.

"David, I need you to treat this thing. He may have a few broken bones," the guard explains and forcefully throws the man onto the floor. I flinch.

These guards really are horrible.

The nurse, whose name is apparently David, stands up and rolls up the sleeves of his light blue outfit. "What happened?" David tries to get the man to stand but his knees buckle and he ends up on the floor again.

"He tried to run," is all the guard says. David nods and lifts the man, dragging him into another room.

"Watch the girl while I'm busy," he tells the guard, who then turns to look at me.

His gaze makes me uncomfortable, and the sinister smile that forms on his face makes my stomach drop.

He's got freckles splattered again his pale skin and dark red hair. Probably dye.

"Aren't you pretty. Are you new here? I'm sure I would remember you," the guard asks as he shuts the door and walks over to me.

"Yes," I reply.

He runs his fingers down my face but I don't flinch. "And what happened to you?"

"I... I was in a fight," I lie. I don't know if telling the truth might get me in more trouble. Cage didn't tell the nurse the truth.

He chuckles and grabs my face tightly with one hand. "Don't lie to me. I'm a guard. I'd know if there was a fight."

Shit.

"I was assaulted by a different guard," I explain.

"Grant?" he asks and I nod. "Ah man, I wish I was there. We could have had some fun with you." His hand trails from my face, down my arm.

"Get away from me," I say confidently and shove him away. I meant what I said: I'm done being scared.

Fear has never gotten me anywhere. I'm going to fight.

I sit up, ready for whatever happens. The guard looks me up and down. "Who saved you? You definitely aren't strong enough to get away from Grant. Why are you still alive?" His words send a shiver down my spine.

If Cage didn't find me, I would be dead.

I stay silent. I'm not sure how much information to give this guy. He whips his hand across my face. "Answer me!"

I gasp and shove my fist into the mans face and then get up, ignoring the pain in my ankle. I run to the door and pull the handle but it doesn't budge.

"You stupid girl. This is a prison." I hear him laughing behind me. "The doors only open from the outside."

0•0•0•0•0

Man, these guards are disgusting. It's sad that things like this actually happen in jails.

Qotd: what is your favourite pickup line?

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx