11.

Alex's POV

I sigh and sit on the floor next to my bed. I was going to do push-ups but then I got tired just thinking about it.

Plus, what's the point? I'm going to die anyway and Cage wouldn't like me either way because I'm a 'bad guy'.

It's annoying, but I get it. If I thought someone was a murderer, I wouldn't help them at all, let alone have feelings for them. This isn't some Ted Bundy type of shit.

I tilt my head back and glance up at the grey stone roof. It's been a while since Cage took away the notepad and I'm so scared about what he will think of me when he reads it.

They don't serve dinner here. They give breakfast and then a late lunch and that's all. Which is the worst thing ever because I'm used to eating non-stop.

The lights usually go out at ten. I don't know what time it is now, but I can't sleep with these bright fluorescent bulbs glaring at me. Time seems to drag on endlessly in this place. Maybe by the time I die in two months, I will be old and grey.

I hear the gate of my cell rattle before it is opened. I glance up and purse my lips when I see Cage walking in.

"I'm guessing you read it...?"

"Yeah..." he says slowly.

I nod, feeling embarrassed. What the heck was I thinking? "What do you think?"

"About which part?" he asks.

I frown. If he read it, he would know exactly which part. I stand up and face him. "You didn't read it, did you?"

"What? Yes I did." I give him an unimpressed look and fold my arms. He rubs the back of his neck and smiles, his biceps flexing slightly. "Okay, okay. I... I didn't read it."

"Why? I would have."

"Yeah, I would have too. Except I can't really read."

"What? But I saw you in the library reading all the time."

He frowns. "How did you see me? I always hid behind the shelves at the back of the library."

"Yeah, I was too curious. I thought you were smoking or meeting a girl there so I had to go see."

"But you said you always saw me reading. That means you went to see what I was doing more than once."

"N-No... No. I meant t-that I— I just said it wrong. I didn't..." I start stuttering and stop talking when I realize I don't even have a good lie.

Seeing him read was like seeing a unicorn in your backyard. It was weird and entrancing and pretty much unbelievable.

Cage was insanely popular and sporty. I didn't think he even knew what a book was until I saw him reading. I guess I had just considered him the stereotypical popular guy, so when I saw him reading I was shocked to say the least.

He chuckles and steps forward. "You were stalking me?"

"This isn't about me. You just said you can't read, but I've seen you reading," I respond quickly.

He sighs. "I have dyslexia. I can read, but not well. I've never managed to get through a whole book. Trust me, I've tried. It's the most frustrating thing. After getting through three pages on here," he says and lifts the notebook. "I stopped."

"How did you read all the set books for English then?"

"I had tutors or googled the summaries," he admits. "I've always wanted to see how one of the books I tried to read ends, but I've never managed to find out."

"I can read it to you," I offer.

"You would do that for me?"

"Yeah, but only if you take me to the library whenever I want." Plus it will be a good way to get closer to Cage so that he will be more likely to help me.

"Deal. I have a spot out in the back of this place I can take you so we can do it without anyone knowing. I'll take you twice a week or something."

I nod. "So when do we start?"

"On Monday," he says. "Today is Friday and all the usual guards get the weekends off so you will have new guards for the next two days, until we come back."

"Y-You're leaving?" I whisper. Oh no. He's the only reason I'm still alive right now. He can't leave.

"Yeah. You'll be fine."

I nod and sit down on my bed, feeling sick all of a sudden. My breathing starts to become ragged and I keep my gaze on my fists which are tightly knitted together.

Cage sits beside me, his arm brushing against mine. I quickly glance up outside my cell to make sure nobody can see this. It feels intimate, even though it isn't.

"I shouldn't be protecting you. I should be protecting people from you. You know that, right?"

"I didn't kill anyone," I mumble.

"Let me know when someone believes that."

The corners of my lips turn down and I close my eyes, taking in a deep breath. His statement makes my heart ache a little.

Not one person believes me. Not my fake parents, not my fake friends, not my lawyer or the court. Nobody. I feel so alone.

"Look, whether you're telling the truth or not, I am your guard. I should protect you, too. You're being punished enough with the death sentence. Here," he says and gives me a strange  black disk. It's got buttons and a speaker.

"What is this?"

"It's kind of like a walkie talkie," he explains. "If you click the second button, it will call David, the nurse. It might not save you but David's the only person that will actually help you if you're in trouble. I hope that makes you feel a little bit safer."

Without thinking, I throw myself onto Cage, hugging him as tight as I can. "Thank you," I whisper.

He quickly pushes me off him. Ouch. "Don't hug me." I nod, feeling embarrassed. "Make sure nobody sees this or I will be fired." He points to the walkie talkie.

"Yeah, I'll shove it up my ass if I have to," I joke and chuckle. Cage looks at me silently for a few seconds before nodding and leaving.

I'm such an idiot.

0•0•0•0•0

Qotd: Are you liking the book so far? Ahhh I'm actually liking this book so I hope it's good.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx