Good Man

She shakes her head, perplexed by his now calm nature. Jughead rubs his jaw in thought, smiling ever so slightly at her. She studies him carefully, taking her time moving from one feature to the next. Jughead notices this, and blushes ever so slightly. He clears his throat before beginning to speak.

"Let me tell you a story. Way back when, when your mom and Archie's dad were in high school, they did my dear old dad wrong all the time. Your mom was a Serpent, and a really devoted one at that. Archie's dad? He was the captain of the baseball team. Always doing the right thing, whether it meant he got in trouble or not." Jughead let out a bitter chuckle at that, rubbing his jaw. "My dad was wronged by your mom, but not as bad as he was wronged by Freddy Andrews. Your mom may have been a low life gang member with a heart of steel, but at least she didn't abandon him and fire him. Yup, good old Freddie Andrews."

Betty opens her mouth slightly, a rebuke ready. She's know Fred Andrews since she was five years old, he's like a father to her. He is always there for her, providing a place of shelter whenever she needs escaping, welcoming her with open arms and a mug of something warm. He's a good man, too good for this world. So, fighting her better instincts to not make the fearsome gang leader mad, she glares harshly at him.

"Fred Andrews is a good man! He'd only fire someone if he had to. You're deranged if you think your dad didn't do anything to make Fred fire him."

The second she says it, she regrets opening her mouth at all. Jughead's eyes darken, his jaw locking. He stands up so fast she leans back into the couch cushions, startled. Towering over her, he leans in close.

"What did you just say to me?"