C H A P T O R 1 6

Luxa's P.O.V

Odd. How very odd.

I kicked at one of the benches and relentlessly paced the corridor. After hours of seeing little change in Gregor, I couldn't help but feel hopeless. And, after nearly smashing a wall making Hazard jump up out of his sleep, I decided I hated the emotion.

The lights were flickering around me, casting thick shadows across the stone floor. It must be night, as every curtain had been closed and only hissing from the flames and soft cries of young children and patients remained.

It wasnt fair, I thought, as I kicked another chair. We had just defeated the Queen, had now only just won. Why was there always some crisis occuring. Gregor surely would have an answer but he was out of commission, unfortunately. More bitter thoughts rained down as I finally stood still, huffing. I crossed my arms defensively.

"You seem quite upset."

I rushes around, unprepared to see Nerissa standing there. She was leaning against the wall, her braids undone and her clothing weighting heavily on top of her. She walked forward, ever so carefully, and I took note of her raspy breaths. She had spoken quietly, after all.

"Cousin" I hissed, looking down, "Stop creeping in the castle, frightning others."
She smiled. How dare she find this so-

"I wasn't the one .... destroying things in an active.... unit of the palace, hmm." She took shaky breaths in between her soft words. I sighed and gave up the harsh act, sitting on the bench I had been kicking.

"I have my reasons."

The hush that followed should have been pleasant, as the quiet usually made me feel calm. Though instead all I felt was suffocation, so I glanced at my cousin. Her eyes were thin, staring at the floorboards. Her hair fell down her shoulders in twisted braids, running across in silver. I twisted my wrists, but said nothing. She was the one who had started it before, and she shall start it again.

Nerissa sighed softly, and started up again, "I worry, of Gregor...and his problem...I-I-" Her eyes lightened like a match in a corridor, as she stood up suddenly. She linked her arm in mind, and pulled me along with her, deep in thought. I raised an eyebrow.

"Cousin, I know you love your schemes , but"- I stopped suddenly.

Gregor was sitting up, a boul in hand as he vomited up his guts, his forehead sweaty and his fingers shaking. One moment the world was going too slow and now I couldn't keep up with its speed. He looked me in the eyes before mumbling out a few words.

"Luxa, I need you to kill me."