Rememberance & Family

Y/N: Ruby?

Ruby voice is heard shouting your name, just as she had when her eyes activated at your near death. With a gasp, Ruby open her eyes. She's lying in a red sleeping bag on a clearing in some woods. and are also in sleeping bags around a long burned-out campfire. Ren rests beside Nora. Ruby sits up and looks around. Birds can be heard tweeting and all seems peaceful. Ruby, however, puts her hand to the side of her head and sighs as though she's in pain.

All four members of walk down a sunny road. Ruby is in front, looking at a map.

Ruby: So the next town is... uh-huh... uh-huh... We're lost.

Jaune: We're not lost. The next town is Shion. My family used to visit it all the time.

Ruby: Oh yeah. Don't you have, like, four sisters?

Jaune: Uh, seven.

Ruby giggles.

Nora: You know, that actually explains a lot.

Jaune: Wait, what do you mean?

Ruby: So, what did you guys do there?

Jaune: Oh, all sorts of stuff! Over here is a great hiking trail, and over here is where we went camping all the time. I got my own tent because I was special. Also, so my sisters would stop braiding my hair.

Ruby: Didn't like the look?

Jaune: Yeah, they just kept doing pigtails, but personally, I think I'm more of a "warrior's wolftail" kind of guy.

Ruby: That's just a ponytail.

Jaune: I stand by what I said.

Nora stops short, raising her hands to her lips as her eyes widen. Soon after, Ren stops, visibly tense.

Nora: Uh, guys?

Ruby: Huh?

Jaune: What?

Jaune and Ruby look up from the map. Their eyes widen and jaws drop. In front of them is a desolated village. The sky is gray and two columns of smoke rise in the air. A gazebo has a broken tower and lampposts are askew from the ground. At least one dead body can be seen on the side of the road approaching the town.

The map is dropped and all four rush forward. They briskly move into the town, looking around. Ren tosses his backpack on the ground and moves ahead while the other three gather in the middle of a road.

Ruby: There could be survivors!

Ren: Over here!

The other three rush to where Ren is leading them. On the ground, sitting propped against a broken building wall is a young man in armor. He breathes heavily and holds his hand against a bleeding wound in his abdomen. Ren drops by his side and puts his hand on his shoulder.

Ruby: A Huntsman!

Jaune: What happened? Who killed all these people?

Dying Huntsman: (coughs) Bandits. The whole tribe... Then, with all the panic...

The Huntsman can't finish and coughs repeatedly.

Ren: Grimm.

Ren stands and walks a few paces away, placing his hands atop his head. Ruby, Jaune, and Nora step away to confer.

Ruby: Alright, we can get him to the next village and try to find a doctor there!

Jaune: Yeah. Ren and I can take turns carrying him there.

Nora: I don't know if he'll make it.

Jaune: He will. He has to.

Ren turns back and walks over to the Huntsman.