Necessary Sacrifice

Oscar Pine is in a training room while wielding The Long Memory. As he pants from exhaustion, he hears a voice enter the room.

You: You're getting better. (You can be seen walking down the stairs into the weapons room) Are you hungry?

Oscar: Uh, yeah. That sounds good. I was about to call it a night anyway.

You: Have you've never fought before?

Oscar: Just the occasional small Grimm. Nothing like this, though.

You: Wow. You look like You have done this before.

Oscar: It's strange, I have only had this cane for a few weeks, but... I feel like I've had it for a lifetime. Longer, even. (pause) I sound like a crazy person.

You: No but, at this pace, you'll be able to fight like us in no time!

You: Well, see you upstairs.

Oscar: How do you two handle all of this?

Ruby: What do you mean?

Oscar: I'm... scared. (his voice starts to crack) I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life, than I ever thought was possible. (he walks over to a weapon rack) I always knew that I wanted to be more than a farmhand, but this? (he places the cane in the rack) Who would ask for this?

He glances down at the floor as a tear drips from his eye. He sniffles before kneeling to the floor to reach his backpack. He grabs the cane off the rack and pulls the lever on the handle to compact it before putting it in his backpack.

You: We all went to Beacon because we wanted to help people. But, you're right. None of us asked for this either. We just have to press on and--

Oscar: How can you be so confident?! People have tried to kill you! The world's about to go to war all over again! How are you okay with any of this?!!

You are taken aback by Oscar's question. You frowns as you say your response.

You: Because when they wonder who has the cards I will be holding them all but, who really said I was okay with this. I nearly died over 3 times for my friends and I would do it again.

Oscar: I'm... sorry.

You: I am scared, but not just for me. What happened at Beacon shows that Salem doesn't care if you're standing against her or not. She'll kill anybody, and that scares me most of all. I'd be lying if I said that if any of my friends died that I wouldn't go on a one man army to kill her. The last time I nearly died I replaced one of my friends, Pyrrha, who would've died. Only were it so easy.

Oscar walks up to You, and you both share a smile.

You: (putting a hand on Oscar's shoulder) C'mon, if we don't hurry, Nora's gonna eat everything. It wouldn't be the first time.

You begins to leave the room as Oscar lingers for a bit.

You: Hey, Oscar? This isn't gonna be easy, but the fact that you're even trying says a lot about you. You're braver than you think remember that.

You proceed up the stairs while Oscar watches.

Ozpin: (mentally) He is remarkable, isn't he?

Oscar: Yeah. He must've been one of the best Hunters at Beacon, huh?

Ozpin: (chuckles) In some ways, yes. But in many others... no. He has his quirks, his faults, just like everyone else. But he also possesses something unquantifiable: a spark, that can inspire others even in the darkest of times and friends to help him through them.

Oscar: This must be really hard on him too.

Ozpin: It most assuredly is.

You then walked upstairs and saw Pyrrha as you both hugged as you all began to cook food with Ren.