VII

↱"The past is never dead

"The past is never dead. It's not even past."

-William Faulkner.

the next day

KATERINA PULLED CONNIE BACK BY THE HOOD OF HIS CLOAK, slapping the back of his head as she pulled him into the shadows.

"Keep your hood up, Connie," Katerina chastised, pulling his hood up and over his head. "We're supposed to be discreet, remember?"

"I'm sorry," Connie whispered back, allowing Katerina to guide him carefully through the streets of the Stohess District.

After the interrogation and Levi and Katerina's resolution to their conflict, the remaining Scouts had made their way to the Stohess district to try and find more information on the Reiss family and their whereabouts. As they entered, they decided it was best to split up in order to draw less attention to themselves.

Katerina and Connie had been wandering the streets for quite some time before they had been handed fliers, ironically, with pictures of themselves under the "Wanted" heading.

"Looks like they're calling for Squad Levi's arrests, specifically," Katerina seethed, looking at the crudely drawn picture of her. "They could have used a different sketch."

"I think you look beautiful," Connie stated bashfully, taking the fliers from her and tucking them into his satchel.

She rolled her eyes as she patted him on the shoulder. "Thanks, Connie. Since it's obviously it's going to be harder to get out of the city than we thought, thanks to these fliers, we should split up to go to the rendezvous spot."

"Are you sure, Katerina?" he asked nervously, looking around them at the various Military Policemen that were patrolling the city.

"Yes, we'll be fine. Trust me," she said, pointing down the wide courtyard to a row of buildings. "You go that way and it'll lead you to the Wall. Just follow it along and you'll find the way back. I'll see you in a bit."

Connie headed that way reluctantly, glancing back at her now and then and freaking out when a Military Policeman got to class to him.

Katerina chuckled as she made her way through a winding alley, with divots and dead ends that tangled and resembled the gnarling vines of the Forest of the Giant Trees. She made her way out of the maze of alleys and decided to stick close to the storefronts, pretending to window shop as she did to try and not draw attention to herself.

It's when she spotted something she thought she buried far in her past, that she stopped and stared.

It was a baby blue blanket with an embroidered golden C.