XXXV

*warning: slightly mature content in this chapter*

"Intimacy is the capacity to be rather weird with someone - and finding that that's ok with them."

-Alain de Botton.

later that day

AFTER KATERINA'S HEAVENLY SHOWER, one which she refused to let Levi join despite the obvious annoyance on his face when she threw him out on his ass, she felt completely invigorated.

She examined herself closely in the mirror after noting with disgust the new uniform she was supposed to wear; the basic Scouts' uniform but with the addition of the horrendous green overcoat she had seen on Levi and Hange. Her dark freckles that kissed her entire face were blending proudly with the bruises under her chin and at the top of her forehead. She tipped her chin back a little so that she could run her finger delicately along with the tiny and harmless cut on her throat- one that she wanted to hide from Levi so as not to aggravate the guilt he must have felt. She dropped her towel and contorted her body so she could get a good look at her thigh, which had been healing nicely until Levi aggravated the wound. There were scars that littered her arms and stomach and legs, but they were old and just a reminder of her dedication to the never-ending fight.

Even with all that, she still felt refreshed and alive, the shower had not only eliminated the dirt and blood but had also given her the proper solitude to smile sincerely thinking about every mountain she had climbed.

Caleb was healthy.

She was capable of killing Reiner.

Her family was at peace.

She thought it was going to be a good day until dressed and ready, she was directed immediately into the Queen's meeting room. It wasn't as extravagant as she was expecting with its tall wooden beams and simplistic dark oak tables that were lined in rows with Historia's seat at the head of the room.

She was pushed into the assembly line with the rest of the Scouts as they all paid their respects to their new queen.

She was the last in the line, right behind Connie as he kneeled in front of Historia, adorned in her red silk cloak and glittering crown.

"Your Majesty," he said with a smile, placing his fist over his heart as he bowed his head.

Historia smiled regally at him, radiating in her new role with her silky blonde hair tumbling down her back.

When it was her turn, Katerina ignored all the gasps that were let out by Historia's advisors as she stalked up the steps and pulled her into a hug.