VIII

↱"There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite

"There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite."

-Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

that next day

THE SUN HAD SET AND THE SUN ROSE, but Katerina had still not returned to the camping spot in the woods where Squad Levi was.

Armin and Mikasa had spent the night in and out of sleep, not being able to fully rest knowing that Katerina was out there in Stohess, potentially in danger and alone. Mikasa had begun to resent Captain Levi for not even allowing her to reenter the city and find Katerina.

Mikasa knew that if anyone could sneak back into the city it was her.

Well, her and Captain Levi.

Armin, on the other hand, understood why Levi had made the decision to continue with their plan and leave Katerina to fend for herself. He knew that Levi was probably just as restless in her absence, but he was their leader and needed to act as such.

However, this didn't stop him from pestering the Captain all morning.

"Artlet!" Levi snapped, slapping the back of his head. "We need to focus, Devlin is fine!"

"I'm sorry," Armin apologized, rubbing the back of his head. "It's just that with the MPs handing out flyers for our arrest, I got nervous."

"Flyers?" Levi questioned, during his time in Stohess he hadn't seen any of these.

"Here, Captain," Connie mumbled, pulling out flyers with all their names and faces.

Levi snorted as he looked at his flyer and then Katerina's.

"Out of all the pictures, they just had to choose this one," Levi said as he looked at the sketch of Katerina. She had her full eyebrows furrowed and her plump lips set in her perpetual signature scowl. He remembered this sketch had been taken after her initiation into the Survey Corps, and her annoyance and resentment showed.

"The Scouts will be disbanded now and it seems that they've arrested the ones that weren't able to leave," Armin explained, taking the flyer back from Levi. "They'll be searching all the roads for us."

"I'm disappointed that we weren't able to find any more information on where Eren and Historia are," Levi mused, pinching the bridge of his nose. "But, we do know for sure that Rod Reiss is behind their capture. Assuming he's not the most intelligent man, they are most likely headed to the Reiss territory. Although there's a lot of ground to cover there, it's a start."

Armin examined the map that Sasha had pulled out previously and mapped out the route from where they camped to the Reiss territory.

"You're thinking it would take them maybe a day to reach it?" Armin asked.