XVII

↱"Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny

"Letting go means to come to the realization that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny."

-Steve Maraboli.

later that day/ an old story

KATERINA AND LEVI LEFT ORVUD DISTRICT shortly after that mini-battle was finished. They were proud of Historia and happy about their win, but there were certain matters that needed to be attended to.

Well, Levi had a certain matter that he needed to attend to, but Katerina tagged along regardless.

She knew that what he needed to do was going to be emotionally draining and she thought it was important for her to be with Levi, just in case he needed her.

She felt like a hypocrite, however, because she wouldn't allow him the same choice when it came to her and Caleb.

She pushed that to the back of her mind as she and Levi dismounted their horses a few meters away from where the Reiss Chapel once stood and they had found exactly what they were looking for.

Kenny Ackerman, injured and dying, slumped against a dying bark of a tree.

"Are you ready for this?" Katerina whispered, not doubting his choice, but merely wanting him to reassure himself of his decision.

Levi smiled at her as he squeezed her hand before looking back at Kenny. "Absolutely, I need to do this."

Katerina bit her bottom lip and nodded her head slowly, squeezing his hand back before letting go of it.

"I'll be here," she said, leaning against her horse as she watched Levi walk up to Kenny.

Kenny Ackerman had seen better days. Part of his scraggly beard was singed off, his already disgusting teeth were broken, and there was a deep wound that was oozing blood from his abdomen. This made Levi wonder how he had managed to last thing long overnight.

"Kenny," Levi said, coming up right in front of him and almost flinching when he saw Kenny flash him a wicked smile. "You happen to be the only survivor of your little squad. I'd tell you that the pain of losing those closest to you goes away, but you aren't capable of mourning. That, and you're probably not going to last long from the looks of it."

"You know me, brat," Kenny said, choking on some blood that escaped his lips. "I've always managed to beat the odds," his eyes traveled to where Katerina was standing. "Hey there, gorgeous!"