XX

↱"Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation

"Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation."

-Robert A. Heinlein.

that same day

AS THE SQUAD LEVI AND HANGE CONTINUED ON THEIR RIDE BACK TO THEIR HEADQUARTERS, it was Armin who realized that at some point during the sunset, Katerina had disappeared.

"How did we not notice that!" Sasha cried, looking around feverishly, obviously to no avail.

"You know, Katerina," Mikasa quipped, rolling her eyes. "She's talented in so many ways."

Levi loved that woman with all his heart so, of course, when she disappeared, he obviously noted it. He was giving it time to see if she would come back and, if not, to confirm his suspicions.

It only took a minute for Levi to realize that, from their current position, it was a straight shot northeast to the Stohess District.

Levi wasn't stupid and he connected the dots. Katerina's sudden mysterious disappearances a few weeks ago were all around that area. That's where the secret she had been keeping from him was hidden.

And now it was time for him to uncover it.

"You all ride ahead to the headquarters," Levi ordered, throwing them all a commanding stare. "I'll go bring her back."

"You know where she is?" Eren questioned, looking over to Levi through his shaggy hair. "Where is she?"

"I have a feeling," Levi said, shrugging his shoulders. When he realized that this didn't comfort Eren, he sighed and sent him a sincere look. "Don't worry. I'll bring her back."

And with that, he rode toward Stohess.

It didn't take long for Levi to find her, she wasn't exactly being discreet, standing atop of a large building, the wind billowing her dark green cloak.

The sun was setting as he moved closer to her, and he took a minute to appreciate her silhouette and her profile.

She stood tiny but mighty, with her arms resting lazily by her sides. The uniform she had worn for a great part of her life fit perfectly, no longer worn and torn from the time they had spent as outlaws. Her head was turned slightly so he could see the elegant curve of her freckled tan nose which paved the way to her plump pinks lips that were set in a mournful scowl. Against the setting sun, her emerald eyes seemed enchanted and radiant, bursting with every emotion that swirled around like a chapel mosaic.

Per usual, she was the most stunning thing he had ever seen.

"So this is where you kept sneaking back to," he whispered, after having his fill of her, slowly inching closer to her with his hands tucked in his pockets.