XXXVII

↱"Trust your instincts, and make judgments on what your heart tells you

"Trust your instincts, and make judgments on what your heart tells you. The heart will not betray you."

-David Gemmell.

that next day/the choice

KATERINA WAS SITTING ON THE BEAM that Erwin had gifted her a couple of months ago, running her hand against the smooth wood as she let go of a deep sigh.

She had been considering Pyxis' offer since she left the ceremony hall, trying her best to avoid every single breathing person. That was when she realized that she needed a moment of peace to do really think things over.

And she had never enjoyed her solitude more than when she was training on the beam.

She had smiled at her acrobatic skills and the fact that they had remained excellent, but when she tired of it for the night, she couldn't find the will to leave.

"Katerina?" Levi asked, walking hesitantly into the room, his eyes softening when he saw her, almost naked with sweat glistening on her exposed stomach and legs. He winced at the cruel scar that Kenny's attack had left behind, a constant reminder of his poisonous existence.

"Levi?" she questioned back, lifting her eyes up as he placed himself in front of her, positioning himself in between her open legs. "Of course, you knew I would be here."

"When I heard what Pyxis asked of you, I figured you'd be here," he explained, pressing a kiss to her wounded thigh before hopping on the beam beside her.

"I'm sure you have some thoughts on the subject..." Katerina teased, resting her head on his shoulder, ignoring the fact that she would make him smell just as bad as she did.

He didn't care.

In all honesty, he did have a lot of thoughts on the subject.

At first, he was infuriated that Pyxis had suggested it to her. He and Katerina had worked hard and gone through too much to not have her by his side. Pyxis had alluded to knowing about their relationship and he wanted to whisk her away from him, but then he realized that he was too paranoid after being around Erwin for most of his life.

Then, he was willing, realizing that she would be safe within the Walls, far away from any threats that the rest of the Scouts would face.

Of course, he wanted her with him but was that more important than her safety, than her life? His squad was well-trained and would be a prime example for the new batch of Scouts to model themselves after. Squad Levi would be weaker without her but not dead.

But, then, the most important thought managed to illuminate his mind.

It wasn't his decision.