XIV

↱"One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself

"One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself."

-Shannon L. Alder.

where we left off/squad levi

THE SCOUTS WERE WAITING IMPATIENTLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE NET, watching as the Anti-Personnel Control Squad eyed them warily.

"What do you think they're doing?" Connie asked, his fingers twitching on his blades.

"They're probably planning their next move," Mikasa implored, pinching the bridge of her nose, after casting a glance back to Hange, knowing that time was surely running out. "We have to find a way to get her to safety."

Levi was swinging on the other end of the net, quietly and discreetly supporting Katerina's weight as she swung there as well, wincing every time she had to flex her thigh.

"How is your thigh doing?" he asked quietly, one arm wrapped around her waist while the other trailed gingerly up her blood-soaked leg and the scarf that kept her wound intact.

Katerina muttered a few choice swears under her breath before she answered Levi. "Besides the fact that your creepy ex-mentor just ripped a chunk out of my thigh, I'd say I'm doing just fine."

Levi ignored the way her words dripped with sarcasm because he was glad that at least she could still find the humor in terrible situations.

However, when he looked at her, he was just reminded of the weakness that Kenny had pointed out to him. She was a complete mess, her hair was soaked in sweat, her clothes were ripped, and the amount of blood staining her pants could trick you into thinking she was dead.

He could have killed Kenny had the psychopath not used her as a human shield. Levi had never had any weaknesses, and if it were anyone else but her, he knew that he would have let them die in order to kill Kenny.

But not Katerina, never Katerina.

So, he looked at her again, and this time he remembered every reason why he was stronger with her, not despite her.

Her tattered sweat-soaked hair, her magnificently rippled clothes, her prideful injury, were all beautiful, highlighting just how much power she radiated.

She, even disgusting- and a tad bit smelly, was everything he never could have dreamed of and didn't think he deserved.

She was everything and he felt like a fool for letting Kenny make him think that, even for just a second, she was anything less than that.