XV.ii

↱"It was almost comforting, this mutual acceptance of our secrets

"It was almost comforting, this mutual acceptance of our secrets."

-Kiera Cass.

where we left off

AFTER ARRIVING IN ORVUD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, all of the Scouts' officers wasted no time entering the strategy meeting that Erwin had called for.

Katerina and the rest of Squad Levi, Armin reluctantly, decided to sit it out and favored to take long hot showers and scrub away the evidence of their battle in the cavern.

Sasha took extra care to check on Katerina's injury, which was annoying, but nowhere near life-threatening.

After cleaning themselves up and making sure to get some food in their system, they all made it just in time to see the senior officers leave the strategy meeting.

When Levi came out, his eyes zeroed in on his squad and made his way to them.

"Captain Levi!" They all shouted, saluting him.

Katerina snorted as she continued to lean against the wall with her arms crossed.

It was hilarious how they still held this rigidity around him after seeing him practically mount her in public, also after everything they had been through together.

Maybe it was only her that saw the ridiculousness of it?

The only time she would ever get on her knees for him like that was in the bedroom.

"At ease," he said, humor lacing his voice as he looked at Katerina's expression. "Well, we've discussed several options and to keep the peace, Erwin wants Historia to become queen."

"He wants her to or he ordered her to?" Katerina interrogated, watching closely at his reaction. His lack of reaction and the twitch in his jaw was answer enough for her. "I thought so. I don't like this."

"The coup d'etat was successful but the general public won't want to follow a military rule," Levi explained, solely speaking to Katerina. "They need a true heir to take the power back from the fake regime they've been living under. People are more receptive to that."

"I said, I don't like this," Katerina spat, furrowing her eyebrows at him. "Historia has come a long way and now you just want to make her a puppet again!"

"You know I am here," Historia said, coming out rather harsh. She walked toward Katerina and placed a hand on her shoulder. "And while I appreciate your protection, I think I agree with this decision," she looked over to Levi. "But, I have one condition."

"Yes, Your Majesty?" Levi said, the squad smiling lightly as his sarcastic use of the title.

Historia held her chin up high as they all watched her expectantly. "I want to fight."